Dumb sdram question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ruslanb76, Aug 23, 2004.

1. ruslanb76

ruslanb76 pivo prosim VIP Member

Hi all,
    I have an nvidia nforce2 ultra 400 main board. Currently I have 1 stick of kingston 256 sdram 333mhz pc2700 installed. I've looked around and found good prices on kingston sdram from kingston.com and want to upgrade soon. Can I put in a stick of 512sdram with the above specs or will it not work with 2 different sizes of sdram sticks. Do I need to match the 256? It seems that people with odd or non matching memory have problems. How do you way in? Thanks.

ruslanb76, Aug 23, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. ruslanb76

Xemus MCSE, A+

The only real problem with DDR arises from mixing speeds, not capacity. If you guy the 512MB stick at pc2700 speed, you should be fine. It's when you try and mix sticks of pc2700 and, say, pc3200 that you could run into problems. That can be gotten around too, if you set them at manual speeds in the BIOS, but doing so will either overclock one or underclock the other, so it's fairly pointless.

Xemus, Aug 23, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question