Digital Camera recognised as Camera, not disk drive.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stubworth, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Stubworth

Stubworth Imba User

Just a brief enquiry. :?

My girlfriend's family purchased a digital photoframe and an SD card. Having attempted to transfer photos from the computer to the SD card via a card reader, I decided it was easier to employ a digital camera as a card reader. That is, to transfer photos from the computer to the camera as if it were a flash drive.

However when I attach the camera to the computer it is recognised as a camera under "Scanners and Cameras" and not a flash drive, or disk drive. To this end, I am asking as to whether there is anyway in which I can copy photos from the computer to the SD Card, within the camera, either by changing the way the computer is recognising the camera and card, or by changing any computer properties etc.

The technical information is:

- Computer runs Windows XP SP2
    - No photo editing or managing tools are used other than Windows standard ones
    - Digital Camera is a Canon 1000D
    - Card type is SD.

I do not mean to sound ungrateful, but please do not suggest solutions which involve using the card reader again or fixing the card reader, because it is not functional in any computer we tried it in, at least 3, however help directed at the main problem will be more than gratefully received!

Thank-you in advance!!

Stubworth, Aug 21, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Stubworth

Maurice Bloody good bloke VIP Member

Hi, on the actual camera if you go into the settings see if there is an option about the way the camera presents itself on the usb connection. You may be able to set it to appear as a drive rather than a camera and then when you hook it up Explorer might then be able to see it as an external drive.

Just a thought.....

Maurice, Aug 21, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. Stubworth

Stubworth Imba User

Just tried, but there's no function on the camera to change the way it presents itself, thanks anyway!

Stubworth, Aug 21, 2009
  4. Stubworth

Zeus Moderator

When it is listed as a camera, can you right-click and open or explore?

Zeus, Aug 21, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question