CPU Heatsinks/Fans... What do you recommend?

Discussion in 'System Building & Upgrades' started by Sambassador, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Sambassador

Sambassador Ninja

Hey all,

I won a Intel QX9650 at a LAN party (random free-for-all-frag-fest tourny ftw!), it's a beast.

Now in all my past years of computerizing, I've always used stock heatsinks/fans. I didn't really have the patience or the caring to really need anything else. However, because this is a nice processor, I decided that I'd actually try and get a decent heatsink and fan for it.

What do you guys recommend? I'd prefer to spend under $50, but I could go as high as $75 if it's really worth it. I do pretty intensive gaming and occasionally work with 3D and music creation.

The rest of my system specs are:

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L
    mushkin 4GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
    BFG Geforce 8800GT 512mb OCed
    500 watt PSU
    assorted CD drives / hard drives / sound card

Thanks!

-Sam

Sambassador, Nov 3, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Sambassador

Codex85 Mouse Potato VIP Member

I've had good results with a Zalman 9500A and Arctic Silver. From NewEgg, they'll run about $60.

Codex85, Nov 3, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Sambassador

Sambassador Ninja

Been looking at the ones on here:
    http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

My friend tells me that the thermaltake ultra-120 is amazing, but I'm worried about installation. Anyone have experience installing these bad boys? How hard is it?

Sambassador, Nov 3, 2008
  4. Sambassador

Codex85 Mouse Potato VIP Member

It's a fairly straightforward process. Most high-performance coolers will have their own mounting clip that goes behind the motherboard; you'll need to remove the motherboard from its tray/case in order to put that on.

The only caveats I can think of offhand are to be careful when securing the cooler, as some mounting bars attach with a fairly high amount of tension, and to be aware of the direction of the fan if it's on the side (there should be instructions for this in the manual).

Also be careful with the fins on some models, as they're sharp. ;)

Codex85, Nov 4, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question