Convert an Admin account to a Limited account

Discussion in 'System Security & Infection Support' started by Tosca, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Tosca

Tosca VIP Member

Hi everyone

I have XP Pro SP2 and initially set an Administrator Account ("Admin") and a Limited Account ("Everyday"). I used Admin to set everything up but, as this took longer than expected, I used it to create documents (Word, Excel, VBS files etc.), surf, save favorites etc. I'm aware that it's not a good idea to use an Administrator Account for routine matters but a Limited Account should be used. I need to convert Admin to a Limited Account (or copy everything in there to Everyday) and don't think I can simply change the type via Control Panel>User Accounts.

Can someone tell me how I can do this or where I can get instructions. I've searched and found information about copying a User Profile but don't know if this is what I need to do. The MS site didn't mention the "demotion" that I need to do so don't know if this is relevant to me. It may be of use only if there is corruption and I need to reproduce something exactly.

Thanks for your time.

Tosca, Jan 21, 2005
    1. Advertisements

2. Tosca

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

What you can do is change your "everday" account to the admin setting then switch your admin acount to limited (in that order) then you can change the name , if you wish.

Goober, Jan 22, 2005
    1. Advertisements

3. Tosca

Tosca VIP Member

Great - I'm glad it's that simple! I feared that such a simple manoeuvre might have lost something or some settings.

Tosca, Jan 22, 2005
  4. Tosca

James Photojournalist

Why don't you use Windows Explorerer and browse to Documents and Settings, copy the Favorites folder, Documents folder to the corresponding folders to your other account?

James, Jan 22, 2005
  5. Tosca

rafiki6 VIP Member

I never even knew it was possible to switch the admin acount since you can only acces it through safe mode. Or is that just my computer?

rafiki6, Jan 22, 2005
  6. Tosca

Tosca VIP Member

Yes, I'd thought of that but wondered if "demoting" the account would have been more simple.

It's not The Administrator Account (that's built in and hidden from normal view) which I need to demote but an account that I've created with Administrator rights.

Tosca, Jan 22, 2005
  7. Tosca

James Photojournalist

If you goals are just to copy the documents and favorites try what I suggested earlier. If you want to do more then that, you can use the Copy profile feature, it copies everything. This is mainly used for creating default profiles though.

James, Jan 22, 2005
  8. Tosca

Tosca VIP Member

Hi James

I've been looking at this and thought about it further. In addition to my documents, favorites etc., I've added various shortcuts to Quick Launch and made other customizations. I think I'd better look further at the Copy Profile option. I presume that this will replicate EVERYTHING in a new account with Limited rights?

Tosca, Jan 22, 2005
  9. Tosca

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

only if you choose for it to have limited rights

Goober, Jan 23, 2005
  10. Tosca

James Photojournalist

Yes, make sure you select the user account that you want to copy the profile too. This article will give you a little more information even though it's for creating a customized default profile.

Although you can still copy the QL shortcuts over individually as well.

Start | Run | %appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

James, Jan 23, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question