Continous virus/malware-like problems, even after several re-formattings.

Discussion in 'System Security & Infection Support' started by totalidiot, Nov 5, 2004.

1. totalidiot

totalidiot

Okay, the problem started around two years ago, when I first (foolishly) d/led Kazaa. Then I got tired of the spy/malware and switched to Kazaa Lite. As you can probably assume, some really bad virus/malware/some POS got d/ed along with my music files. Since then, in the past month alone, I have had to format my hardrive twice, making it 3 times in the past year. And it has always been the same problem(s):

A) The Internet connection works fine for a while ("while," in this sentence, means "week or two to a year") then the modem can still be heard connecting, but M$N (the ISP, not M$N Me$$enger) soon reports that it cannot connect to the server, even though I can still the modemy noises, and the hissing sound that is heard when the phone is picked up. Alternatively,

B) none of the above happens (at first) , but instead the connection seems to go dead after a while despite the fact that I can still hear the hissing on the phone, and every site I go to I get a 404 message.

This is a major reoccuring problem and makes any kind of normality impossible. Could you please help?:?
    Thanks
    :help:help:help:help:help:help

totalidiot, Nov 5, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. totalidiot

James Photojournalist

What are the error messages you receive from MSN? The DUN connection must give you an error. I doubt it's a virus or spyware. Have you done any scans for viruses or spyware?

James, Nov 5, 2004
    1. Advertisements

3. totalidiot

davi99 VIP Member

well before you reformatt the harddrive unplug your CAT5 cable from NIC card, and then formatt the harddrive.

Or do a virus scan that checks for boot sector virus, they usually stick on and dont come off until you do a really good virus scan.

and i think the reason you can't connect to msn is probably the modem is flaw, not working correctly..might want to contact MSN

davi99, Nov 6, 2004
  4. totalidiot

D Schrute Assistant Sensei VIP Member

Are you doing a real reformat? Or an HP or another retail type reformat? If you are doign a reformat from HP and some other companies, it isn't an actual reformat its just like a restore. If you are doing a clean reformat, you don't need take out any cables out because you need to install the NIC drivers anyways.

D Schrute, Nov 6, 2004
  5. totalidiot

totalidiot

It is a real format, the error message is just one of those "We can't sign you in because we cannot find a connection to the server" and its not just with MSN, because I tried EarthLink and got the same thing.

totalidiot, Nov 7, 2004
  6. totalidiot

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

Umm..are you sure your modem/ethernet card drivers are installed correctly?
    Spyware/viruses CAN NOT survive a format. It just doesn't work that way.

Fenis-Wolf, Nov 7, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question