Computer turns on but nothing displays on monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by matt5342, Apr 29, 2012.

1. matt5342

matt5342

Hey guys,
    Computer is custom built, Windows 7 64-bit OEM, nvidia 9800gt graphics card, Foxconn motherboard, intel processor (I'll get the specs after I get off work if needed)

My computer has been dead for a couple weeks. It started when i was browsing online and it just turned off immediately. I tried to turn it on, it went to the advanced boot options menu with safe mode, etc. I started it normally, it went to the windows icon like it was booting but then turned off again. I turned it back on and tried safe mode. Safe mode booted up then after about 5 minutes in safe mode it turned off again.

I reseated most of the connections in my computer and turned it on again. nothing displayed on the monitor and it just turned on, then turned off. I tried it again later and it showed up on the monitor. It booted up fine and got to my normal home screen. I turned on my avast antivirus immediately just in case, but after about 5 minutes the computer turned off again.

I wasnt able to get anything at all to show up on the monitor after that. The computer would turn on, then turn off, nothing on the monitor.

I walked through some troubleshooting, tightened my screws, cleaned up the inside, reseated the graphics card and all the power connectors. I also reset the CMOS manually with the jumper.

After I reset the CMOS, the computer turns on and stays on, but still nothing displays on the monitor.
    I'm thinking I need a new graphics card?
    Anything you guys suggest I try before buying a new card?
    Thanks ALOT!!

matt5342, Apr 29, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. matt5342

darthweb VIP Member

diagnosis sounds about right ... I'd say it sounds like graphics card or PSU but then again could be the motherboard.

borrow a graphics card off a friend or try the onboard graphics (if it has that) to narrow it down a bit.

darthweb, Apr 30, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question