Computer hard drive question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Devin, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Devin

Devin

Hello, I have an old Western Digital HDD that I believe works fine but the power cord has stopped working and I have not been able to find a correct replacement that works. I want what's on it badly enough that I am willing to try other options but need help on what the options might be and the best way to perform them. I know they sell HDD enclosure replacements that could maybe solve my problem if I disassemble the thing and rebuild it but would they provide me with a working power cable or new plugs if that is the problem? Also, what about disassembling and then trying to attach to a working desktop computer without the casing, will that work? Otherwise I have been at a loss to find a simple solution to this problem. Please let me know if anyone has some advice. Thanks

Devin, Jul 30, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Devin

Core in pounce mode Moderator

I assume it's an external drive. You can dismantle it and install the drive as an internal drive into your desktop, or you can replace the enclosure...or you can use an USB/SATA adapter, which is slightly cheaper than an enclosure.

I have an HDD attached to a USB/SATA adapter. I am using it to connect the drive to my Mac until I get around to getting an enclosure. I bought it instead of an enclosure because it also supports IDE drives and I needed to access some old drives at the time.

Core, Jul 31, 2012
    Devin likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Devin

Devin

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I forgot to mention it, but it is an external drive, and I'm pretty sure it's a SATA drive. Your solution of a USB to to IDE/SATA adapter sounds good to me, but I need a little more info. Are they all the same? I see a couple of different types when I search them online. I'm not looking for a fancy one just one that is cheap and will get the job done. If they are the same I will pick one up at an electronics store. And afterwards do I need to remove the disk from its enclosure? The HD that I have is pretty old and does require an external power source.

Devin, Aug 2, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question