Choppy JVC camcorder playback

Discussion in 'Media Workshop' started by trollyna, Mar 29, 2010.

1. trollyna

trollyna

I have a JVC Everio GZ-MS100 U Memory camcorder. The footage is great quality when I playback on the camcorder or link it up to my TV. As soon as I use the USB cable to import it to my lap top I get a choppy result.(Same if I import it with the SD card) Audio is fine. It is just the video.
    I use Nero to author the video.
    Any advice would be much appreciated. I am disppointed with the results.
    Thanks.

trollyna, Mar 29, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. trollyna

Core in pounce mode Moderator

Is it choppy before AND after authoring with Nero?

It's most likely a codec issue. I'm not familiar with that camcorder, but if the files are in MPEG-2 when you import them, you need to have a MPEG-2 codec installed on a reasonably fast computer. Something like Windows Media Player often has a hard time playing a MPEG-2 file smoothly.

If it's a different video format, then it's probably a codec issue. Make sure you've installed the software/codecs that came with the camera, if there was a disc included in the box. You can also try and find proper codecs online once you know what format the files are imported in.

If you get choppy playback after authoring, it's probably due to the software you use. I personally don't have a whole lot of confidence in Nero for anything but burning data discs.

Core, Mar 29, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. trollyna

trollyna

The format is MPEG-2 and the file extensions are .MOD
    And yes the footage is choopy both before and after authoring.
    What kind of codec should I look for online? (This is all very new to me!) Something that converts from MPEG-2 to what format?
    (My laptop is a HP Pavillion dv9000- don't know if that is part of the issue - ie not fast enough).
    I appreciate your help.

trollyna, Mar 30, 2010
  4. trollyna

Core in pounce mode Moderator

Chosen codec depends on your output purpose. If you want something that you can just store on your hard drive, then I'd suggest Divx or Xvid; if you want DVD playback, then you're stuck with MPEG-2, pretty much. For something you can email, you'd probably be best off going Windows Media Video or QuickTime.

MPEG-2 is a great format because you theoretically don't have to do much re-encoding (from an authoring app's perspective) to put it on DVD for standalone playback, so there is very little quality degradation. But MPEG-2 playback can be choppy on the PC unless you use a DVD player app to play it back, not just any ol' media player.

Again, it depends on what you want to do with the files.

If you're new to encoding/authoring/capturing, you may find videohelp.com to be an invaluable resource.

Core, Mar 30, 2010
  5. trollyna

Maurice Bloody good bloke VIP Member

Hi trollyna, what video card do you have and what processor & memory does your system have? It is possible that if the machine is of an older or lowish spec that this may be a problem.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
    Maurice, Mar 30, 2010
  6. trollyna

ww927bin

I have the same problem, i use JVC GZ HD 30.

I get a choppy result too when plalyback .mod via VLC.

And i want to edit the videos using Adobe Promiere Pro 7, convert to what format?

ww927bin, Apr 9, 2010
  7. trollyna

S Walch MAME 0.64 :) VIP Member

I always found that the best way to get Video footage from a Camcorder to the PC was to hook the Camcorder up to my DVD player/writer, burn the footage onto a DVD, and then transfer the footage from the DVD to the PC for easy editing.

Obviously a bit of a longer way round to get the footage onto the PC, but it's never been choppy doing it this way

S Walch, Apr 9, 2010
  8. trollyna

clifford VIP Member

I've got to agree with you S Walch. Video capture with computers are terrible. Just another anti-piracy issue making things difficult on the honest guy. Meanwhile the not so honest are finding ways to copy any media they want regardless.

clifford, Apr 10, 2010
  9. trollyna

medbor THQ Noob

medbor, Apr 10, 2010
  10. trollyna

ww927bin

Maybe it's a good method.

I want to know how to transfer DVD to PC.

thanks

ww927bin, Apr 12, 2010
  11. trollyna

clifford VIP Member

First thing you would need is a program that will decrypt the DVD's.
    Then you can convert the media to a different format.

There are programs that do this in one easy step. Do a little research and you can find all you need to know. This is also piracy techniques so I won't get very descriptive as piracy is not excepted on this forum.

clifford, Apr 12, 2010
  12. trollyna

S Walch MAME 0.64 :) VIP Member

Well, the DVD recorder should record the video in .VOB format, so it's easy to just open up the DVD in Windows Explorer and copy and paste the .VOB files to the PC.

Either that, or use a DVD-copy programme to rip the DVD to your PC, again in .VOB format, and go from there.

I'm hoping that last line isn't considered a "piracy technique", especially as it's routinely used for legal activities

S Walch, Apr 12, 2010
  13. trollyna

Nickweb Resident Filmaker Moderator

if its your own footage that you have made entirely yourself, then its not illegal. the illegal bit is when you do it with DVDs or any other material that you havent made yourself, or do not have express permission from the copyright owner to do so

Also the above applies to the last line of your post ste, as long as its your own footage / you have express permission then its ok

Nickweb, Apr 12, 2010
  14. trollyna

ww927bin

Thanks

Burn ,rip and convert,maybe i should search a video converter directly.

ww927bin, Apr 13, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question