Can't stop pop-ups!

Discussion in 'Networking and Internet' started by Ken R., Jan 14, 2004.

1. Ken R.

Ken R. VIP Member

I get pop-ups on my Win XP computer every couple of minutes, and this is without any web browser running!

I have Zone Alarm installed, but it just ignores them. Also a pop-up stopper program.

I read that Windows Messenger might be the culpret in allowing this stuff, but when I try to close it, it says that it can't close because other applications are sharing files with it. (Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, but they're not running)

Can I get rid of Windows Messenger? It isn't in the list of programs that can be uninstalled in Windows Control Panel.

Suggestions?

Ken R., Jan 14, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. Ken R.

Ollie

He there, I had the same problem, try installing and running adaware there is a link from my strand (weird applets) posted yesterday, about two down from this.:thumbs :thumbs

Ollie, Jan 14, 2004
    1. Advertisements

3. Ken R.

James Photojournalist

It's not Windows Messenger (the MSN IM program), it's the Messenger Service (designed to be used on a LAN).

You could turn that service off by going to Control Panel | Admin Tools | Services. If they are not the messenger popup boxes scan your PC with Ad-Aware.

James, Jan 14, 2004
  4. Ken R.

Ken R. VIP Member

I just scanned my system with Ad Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy, and that seems to have solved the problem.

Ken R., Jan 15, 2004
  5. Ken R.

Heretic_Gate

you can get rid of windows messanger but like James said it's not Messanger doing it. But Messanger service, I've had this same prolem...I just went to start | Run | type in services.msc | and go down to Messanger | right click and go to Properties | select start-up type Disabled and that should cure your problem :thumbs to get rid of messanger go to My Computer | Control Panel | Add/remove Programs | Add/Remove Windows Components

Heretic_Gate, Jan 15, 2004
  6. Ken R.

Ken R. VIP Member

As far as getting rid of Windows Messenger; I have checked, and it doesn't appear in my list of programs that can be removed under "add/remove programs" in control panel. I have Win XP with the latest SP installed.

Ken R., Jan 15, 2004
  7. Ken R.

fireberd350

goto start menu --> run --> type "msconfig"

then goto SERVICES tab then find the box labeled "Messenger" and UNCLICK the box.

Next goto the START UP tab and find the startup item called "msmsgs" and UNCLICK the box.

While your in there you can unclick any other memory hungry programs that run everytime you start up your computer. Just be sure you know what you are unclicking, some of them are system files or files needed for certain hardware.

Also, Next time you restart your computer a box will appear with a message about "Selective Startup" this is NOT an error but just letting you know that the startup was changed. Just click the box that says something like "Do no show this message again" and your set.

One other note. Unfortunatly the devils at Microsoft think they are *** and second guess what you do. So the Messanger service may still run and if you run MSCONFIG again you may see "Messenger" and/or "msmsgs" became magically checked again. So just uncheck them again and that should do it.

And one last thing. I run a pop up program that is by far the best one I have ever seen. It is soooo small and does not include an install program that installs 100's of files like some other pop-up killers I have seen(that ironically dont even work). Its less than 200k I think and is a simple .exe file. You can get it from download.com its called "another IE popup killer" or something like that. Stops 98% of all my popups....

Good luck, Steve

fireberd350, Jan 16, 2004
  8. Ken R.

James Photojournalist

If you don't like MSN, you can remove it I'd give it a try though. It's not as bloated as AIM. But if you want it gone, put this in the Run box:

rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %systemRoot%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

James, Jan 16, 2004
  9. Ken R.

Ken R. VIP Member

Steve, I did the msconfig thing to stop Messenger from loading. Thanks for the tip.

I use a program called Pop Up Stopper, which seems to be okay, but for some reason, it does let a few pop ups through.

Ken R., Jan 16, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question