Can't install anything

Discussion in 'Software' started by Terry, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Terry

Terry

I recently had the msblast worm, but I don't know if it had anything to do with this. I can't install anything now, but had the infection weeks ago. I tried to install service pack 2, but the window just closes up in the middle of the process. And there wasn't any error message, it just closes suddenly. Someone told me about the Watson problem but I found it wasn't the deal. This happens to all install programs, and some installed ones like Zone alarm. The windows just disappears after a minute or two. I tried closing all virus scanners and programs but no good, and using windows 2000. Any help on this is appreciated, cause I really need to install service pack.

Terry, Sep 12, 2003
    1. Advertisements

2. Terry

James Photojournalist

You should be installing SP4 since it's the latest. ;)

Have you tried doing this in Safe Mode?

James, Sep 12, 2003
    1. Advertisements

3. Terry

Terry

I tried it in safe mode, and an error message popped up saying "The RPC server is unavailable". I looked it up, and I guess this could be one of the symptoms of the blastor worm. I could swear I have done almost everything I could. I downloaded all the worm fixes, used several virus scanners, in which some doesn't detect the virus on my system. The few that did fixed it once, I think it's clean then but yet the problem still is here. Still sudden closing of windows, and I can't install things. Can't install service packs, no patches for worm. That worm has really gone deep into my computer I guess.

Terry, Sep 13, 2003
  4. Terry

Terry

....oh and I also attempted to remove to worm maually, but I already deleted, or didn't find all the files from the instructions to me from the site. I did have some different reactions when I scanned my computer on safe mode but nothing different. Just a message saying blatant stuff and ended with the worm was not found on my computer.

Terry, Sep 13, 2003
  5. Terry

James Photojournalist

You might of deleted a wrong file. If the RPC service is not running, a lot of things will be affected. If you go into the Services MMC in Admin Tools, is RPC running?

James, Sep 13, 2003
  6. Terry

Terry

I went there and RPC is started, the RPC Locator isn't but I started it and stopped it it seems alright.

Terry, Sep 13, 2003
  7. Terry

James Photojournalist

You may have to reinstall the OS if you keep having these issues unfortunatly. With a virus that has done damage, you could try a "Recovery Install".

James, Sep 13, 2003
  8. Terry

Terry

Ok, I reinstalled and things are all right now. Thanks.

Terry, Sep 14, 2003
  9. Terry

James Photojournalist

Good the hear. Do you have any anti-virus protection? Did you get the blaster patch?

James, Sep 14, 2003
  10. Terry

Terry

yea I got it

Terry, Sep 18, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question