Can't connect new iPod to home network

Discussion in 'Networking and Internet' started by Hummingbird, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Hummingbird

Hummingbird VIP Member

*sigh* So my dad got a new iPod touch and I can't get it to connect to our home network. We try to open Safari and it asks which network we want to join. I click 'Home' and then it asks for a password. I have no idea what password it's asking for. I've tried every password I've ever used for anything. I tried leaving it blank, too. I went downstairs and opened our LinkSys Advisor program thing and it gave me this 15-digit access code thing as well as a router password. I tried the router password but that doesn't work either. I haven't tried the really long thing yet. HELP ME! How am I supposed to connect to this network?

Cynthia :)

Hummingbird, Jul 3, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Hummingbird

Hummingbird VIP Member

Ooookay - so apparently it's the waaaay long thing. I'm in now - thanks anyway! :)

Hummingbird, Jul 3, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. Hummingbird

Zeus Moderator

Heh...I was about to say try the really long thing :)

Zeus, Jul 3, 2009
  4. Hummingbird

Ian Administrator

Just as a sidenote, it's best to use WPA2-AES/PSK if your router supports that type of security - just don't use WEP :)

Ian, Jul 3, 2009
  5. Hummingbird

Zeus Moderator

:2cents...What he said except:

If WEP is all you can use, it is better than no encryption so if WPA is not available, use WEP.

Zeus, Jul 6, 2009
  6. Hummingbird

Ian Administrator

Yep, if WEP is the only thing available then it's better than nothing :) Most routers can do WPA2 now though, so that should be the first choice - the only reason I mentioned it was because the free router I got from my ISP came pre-configured as WEP (with their own wireless card that can support WPA2). I was amazed they'd ship it like this, as o2 are one of the largest ISPs in the UK.

Ian, Jul 7, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question