Can Backup and Restore with little or no problems but can't access restored hdd

Discussion in 'Software' started by twinkletoes, Mar 20, 2005.

1. twinkletoes

twinkletoes

Hello again! I haven't posted in awhile!
    I'm having problems trying to make an image of my hdd using Norton Ghost 2003. I'm new at using it so I'm sure that I've made some costly mistakes that could have been prevented if I had known what I was doing. I installed Ghost because for backup purposes only because I'm daring when it comes to my computer and I usually don't look before I leap ;). Anyway, I think if I told exactly what I did backing up and restoring somebody here might be able to tell me what I did wrong:
    I right-clicked on the ghost icon in the system tray and clicked Launch Norton Ghost to first make a Ghost Boot disk in case I needed it (which I'm thankful for now)
    Afterwards I right-clicked again on the icon and clicked Backup Your Computer, and clicked next. The hdd is what I was attempting to make an image of so my source was my C:\ drive and I wanted to save the image to a cd-r (give up on cd-rw problem if anyone remembers my post about my problems with cd-rws I'll just use cd-rs). All was going well until I saw this box that showed up stating that there were devices detected on my computer that needed my attention. (you can view the box in the attachment that I've included in this post)I didn't think much of and just exited the box and kept on going until the wizard restarted my computer. It went into Norton (via dos) like it should and I clicked on disk and clicked on to image and chose the cd-r to backup the image to. I also set the compression to fast so I would only have to use two cd-rs to use as I'm running low on the supply. I can't remember how long it took exactly but for safety measures after I was done I ran an integrity check on the restore cds and it completed successfully. I clicked on quit and that is where my troubles began. For some reason or other my computer can no longer boot from my hard drive itself (I had previously made a floppy disk to boot from to test if the disk would work and I think I went wrong somewhere. If I try to boot from my hard drive all I get is a missing operating system message) so I have to use a floppy to boot it. When I exited out of norton I got a black screen with a character like this on it: A:> Me not having too much knowledge on dos just yet everything I typed there did not work. I would either get a abort,retry, fail error or other errors that I don't know how to describe here. So I turned the computer off manually and turned it on again and removed the ghost floppy and replaced it with my regular floppy boot disk and all would went well as long as I removed the ghost image from the disk. After restarting and logging on ghost task log came up on the screen saying that the my act of backing up completed with errors. But what errors? And another box that asked me if I would like to restart now something new has been reinstalled. Before I restart I go into my computer and notice that there are some extra hard drive icons listed there. (Refer to second attachment) They sort of look like partitions which I am not trying to make and new ones keep adding themselves there each time I try to back up or restore. When I finally restarted again to restore (why not try it? I have backups only they're slower) and the restore completed sucessfully...or at least that's what it looked like. When I exited out of dos norton I was faced with similar boot problems that I described above. The normal floppy that I use to boot up usually works just fine but in the case of restoration it didn't. The first two times I tried booting I got a missing operating system message and the second time I tried to boot it worked but it didn't go to my login screen like it was supposed to. Instead it only got as far as the welcome windows xp home screen and stuck right there until I flipped a switch on the floor near my computer to turn it off and on again. I can't access anything that was restored so the only thing for me since I don't have or want to use a windows xp cd (too expensive and too complicated with activation numbers and such. I'm a college girl I don't have time for anything complicated other than college:D). Anyway I had to use the restore cds that came with my computer and uninstall all the bloatware that comes on the cd which is another reason why I decided to create my own. But I've tried researching this problem on Google many times but came up with nothing other than the complaints about how awful Norton is. Am I doing something wrong? I hope I was detailed enough about my problem. If any other info about my computer is needed to solve this problem I have an attachment with system info in it (view it only if you are trying to diagnose a problem). I'm getting pretty frustrated!!! :sigh :crazy All I wanted to do was make an effect backup and all I get are more problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (if none of the attachments work please let me know) I wasn't sure whether this was a software or hardware issue and if this is in the wrong forum I apologize.
    Last thought: I had emailed my comp. manufacturer and I was told that my hardware, my printer and scanner must be unplugged from my computer in order for me to perform a backup and restore). I also couldn't open up my image from ghost explorer as well.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
    twinkletoes, Mar 20, 2005
    1. Advertisements

2. twinkletoes

twinkletoes

Backup and Restore Problems with Norton 2003

Hmmm...perhaps I should make a shorter version of the last post since no one has replied and since I can't edit it:

When I try to backup using norton ghost 2003 to cd-r I go through the wizard just fine until I get a device warning (refer to last post) and it appears to back up fine (passed integretity check 4 times).
    It also appears to back up successfully but when I try to either restore or go back into windows after I do a backup I either get a missing operating system error (unless I use a boot disk) When it will boot back into windows it stops at a blue screen with the windows xp logo screen (is this the splash screen?) but no logon icons leaving me unable to log on to my new restored hdd.
    When I am able to exit norton without restoring I get log on the screen that says that the taks completed with errors...?
    I have been forced to use the restore cds that came with my computer to start all over again (they work perfectly)

I was told from eMachines that my hardware plugged into my computer may be causing the problems and that I should unplug my hardware before using Ghost.
    I also cannot open any of the ghost images that I create from ghost explorer. Can anyone help? Sorry for the first long post

twinkletoes, Mar 26, 2005
    1. Advertisements

3. twinkletoes

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

It looks like you should unplug that piece of HP equipment that you have hooked up. Sometimes Ghost gets a little weird with USB devices. And if you had it plugged in each time you created the Ghost images, all the images might be bad.

Fenis-Wolf, Mar 27, 2005
  4. twinkletoes

jonquil34

Norton Ghost Integrity Check Caused HDD Boot Failure

I wanted to Integrity Check a *Gho Image with Ghost 2003. Wizard said it would restart my computer. With the Image disk in CD drive, it restarted and immediately, HDD would not boot to Windows 2000. "Boot Failure on Floppy and IDE-0". It added "VPSGHBOOT" Partition to my HDD. Twinkletoes reported similar problem. Outrageous! Computer was fine till then. HAS ANYONE SOLVED THIS?

jonquil34

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
    jonquil34, Apr 1, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question