Building a New Gaming Machine

Discussion in 'System Building & Upgrades' started by Ozark, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Ozark

Ozark Flight Sim Dweeb

My last build was in 1999 with Win 98 and AMD 1.2 GHz Thunderbird chip. It died a peaceful death last year. It was upgraded several times and served me well for almost 8 years. It was cutting edge in its prime.

OK… fast forward to late 2009!

Where do I start? What is a good system build today? I’m a flight sim fan and enjoy fighting WWII battles.

I’m so far out of the gaming machine loop… I need help with a starting point to build a stable gaming computer again.

Ozark, Nov 2, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Ozark

clifford VIP Member

Hi Ozark

What kind of budget are you looking to have for this build. Its easier to suggest parts when a price range is known.

I'm not a gamer so I couldn't guide you through the specs. But I can ask a few questions that will help someone who can help. Everyone has a preference of CPU & Graphics in their machine, mine is Intel & ATI. A gamer usually leans to AMD & nVidia.

My preference for motherboard would be an ASUS board.

Personally, If my budget was low and I couldn't spend a whole lot. I would definitely not hold back on the motherboard. The motherboard in my opinion is the heart of the machine. Choose a board with the maximum upgrade path. For example a motherboard that will support a faster CPU and more RAM. You can always purchase a cheaper CPU & less RAM for the time and upgrade fully later.

clifford, Nov 2, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. Ozark

Maurice Bloody good bloke VIP Member

and with a Quad-core cpu. AMD chips are good in this area.

Maurice, Nov 2, 2009
  4. Ozark

Zeus Moderator

Guilty as charged.

Clifford is wise. Definitely don't hold back on the MOBO as it is the heart of the machine.

Zeus, Nov 2, 2009
  5. Ozark

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

Don't hold back on the PSU as well!

Goober, Nov 2, 2009
  6. Ozark

Codex85 Mouse Potato VIP Member

I have to disagree on the choice of CPU and video card for a gamer; while AMD is somewhat competitive in the rock-bottom of the price range, Intel is firmly in the lead when it comes to performance, and ATI currently has both the most powerful and the most value-friendly video cards.

Codex85, Nov 4, 2009
  7. Ozark

Zeus Moderator

Well Codex has educated me today. With his last post, I thought "Here comes the AMD vs Intel debate. Let me bury him real quick so we can get back to helping Ozark"...turns out he speaks the truth.

2005 is the last time I researched and built a gamer rig (my current rig was researched and built by my best friend while I was traveling for work). In 2005 AMD was clearly superior.

After looking at benchmarks, it appears that Intel is currently the superior CPU. I will still stand by my current AMD because it is still a beast of a machine and easily plays any current game on the market no problems (most on maxed out settings) so if my AMD can do this, I tip my hat to Intel.

Zeus, Nov 4, 2009
  8. Ozark

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

Codex is correct, although any medium to high range CPU/GPU will suite most any ones needs.

The AMD Phenom II x3 and x4 are nice and pack a good punch
    The Intel i7/5 and C2D/Q are a joy to use.

ATi 3870/4870/5870 are nice cards (the other numbers are lower-end cards) especially the x2 series of the mentioned cards.
    Nvidia G280-295 are equally as good as ATi's

For a current build you are looking at getting suggested DDR3 RAM around 4-8GB, quad core processor, 160GB to 1TB of hard drive space, and a video card similar to the ones I spoke of above. PSU will be in the 500-850 Watt range. I'd say you could possibly build it all for about $800-1000 USD, unless you want something a little less.

Personally I am a fan boy of DFI, Intel, ATi, OCZ, Creative, and Corsair.

Goober, Nov 4, 2009
  9. Ozark

medbor THQ Noob

build1: (decent for now, upgradable)
    PSU Corsair above 400W
    PCB Any known maker, ddr3 is a must i prefer AM3 socket (maby intel 1156) USB3 is worth it soon
    CPU Athlon II x3 or above (not low clcoked x4 though) (or intel i5 750, no other)
    GPU at least readeon 4830/geforce 9800 but preferably DX11 i.e. radeon 57xx/geforce 46X or above
    HDD not SSD
    RAM cheapest 4GB DDR3 money can buy (2x2GB)
    SUM a little bit depending, but about 400-600$ (amd-intel)

build2: (really good performance)
    PSU Corsair above 650W
    PCB AM3/1156/1366 with crossfire/SLI
    CPU Phenom II x3 BE/x4 (any) or i5 750/i7 920 (cheapest 1366 you can find)
    GPU radeon 5830/geforce 470 or above
    HDD SSD (64-128GB) + HDD (storage if needed, 1.5TB is cheap as dirt)
    RAM socket 1366 is tripple channel so 3x2GB and either 2x2GB or 4x2GB on others
    SUM about 500-1500$ depending on GPU and/or idiotic CPU choises

reasoning:
    Crossfire/SLI is really cheap if you look at the performance (not the power bill), and two 5770 easially beat a 5870 in a lot of tests.
    In gaming athlon x3 and above is enough to satisfy todays GPU, and phenom x3 and above tomorrows (same for both recommended intels), an overclocking yields spectacular results! (in a month Phenom x6 is released for descent prices if you can wait(intels 6 core is just extremely expensive))
    SSD is really worth it if you have the money
    RAM 4GB is enough today, but probably not in a year or two if you want to max out games

personally i would buy:
    Corsair 750W (150$)
    4GB RAM (4GB more when cheaper) (100$)
    AMD Phenom II x6 (if available for decent price) or x4 (200$)
    Radeon 5830 (with an optional second soon) (200$)
    Crossfire motherboard with USB3 and SATA3 for future (100$)
    64GB SSD of cheapest make (read reviews) with a second for raid0 later (100$)
    total: about 800-900$ (plus upgrades for 300-600 in a year or so when its needed and cheaper)
    then you would have a computer which dont use too much electricity, and will game awesome (evem before the upgrades)!

medbor, Apr 5, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question