Bizarre Router + BitTorrent downloading problems

Discussion in 'Networking and Internet' started by S Walch, Jul 1, 2011.

1. S Walch

S Walch MAME 0.64 :) VIP Member

I will admit right now that the following has me completely and utterly stumped - which really doesn't happen all that often.

Quick scenario: Bought a new Belkin Wireless N F5D8636-4 ADSL2+ router to upgrade my old, ISP provided Netgear DG834GT ADSL. Quick scenario ended.

So, I pretty much set it up exactly as the Netgear one is (same SSID, Passkey etc, mainly so I wouldn't have to change it for the other PC's in the house (5+)), and made sure that the port I use to connect through for BitTorrent (for purely legal reasons, obviously) was open on the Belkin in the same way it is on the Netgear.

All is well and good (especially as I got a 200kbps upload increase, guessing from the upgrade to ADSL2+), apart from the following: whenever I'm using bittorrent, it just completely knocks out every other PC (including my own browser) from being able to load to web pages. They can connect to the router fine, it just appears that absolutely nothing else can get enough bandwidth to load a web page.

And it's not as if it's happening just because BitTorrent's getting the max bandwidth available - even if I reduce it to just 1kB Upload/Download, it's always the same result - no computer is able to load a webpage. But turning off BitTorrent, waiting about 60 seconds, and every PC is raring to go - turn BitTorrent back on, and everything dies.

I also happen to have a spare router (bought it for a client who ended up not needing it - quick tip: ALWAYS check the phone line before deciding whether it's the router or not that's at fault), a Netgear N150. So I set this up, as I have the other two, and pretty much the same thing that's happening with the Belkin is happening with the N150 - complete internet blackout if BitTorrent is running, fine and dandy if it isn't.

I've tried 3 different BitTorrent clients thinking it could quite possibly be them (it isn't), and if I download something from say, filesonic, at max bandwidth speed, there is absolutely no problem loading web pages or anything else - it only ever appears to happen with the two new Wireless N (or almost Wireless-N in the NG N150's case) routers.

So at the moment I've put the old Netgear back on, and everything's fine again (apart from the slower network speed and not as great connection).

Whilst I've been typing this, the only difference I can possibly, possibly think of is the fact that the old Netgear is using WPA-PSK, whereas the two new ones were using mixed WPA/WPA2 for the wireless connection. I'll see if changing that helps any (I don't think it will) tomorrow morning.

And it's not as if we're all using the same wireless adapters in the PC's - each one is different, as well as for the laptops too.

Sooo..... any suggestions? lol

S Walch, Jul 1, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. S Walch

Zeus Moderator

Does the new router have UPnP technology? I enabled that on mine for faster bitTorrent download speeds and I got blazing fast downloads but had the same problem that you are having. When I disabled it, my download speeds slowed down, but then I could access the internet from my computers again.

I thought it was the bandwidth until I limited mine and it didn't help the situation at all either. I never looked into what caused it, I just left UPnP disabled.

Might be something worth looking at.

Zeus, Jul 1, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. S Walch

S Walch MAME 0.64 :) VIP Member

Yes, they both have UPnP, but then so does my old Netgear one which appears to have no trouble with it.

Although, it never even crossed my mind that it could be something to do with UPnP. Thanks for that, I'll give it a go later on :)

Edit:

Okay, so I turned off UPnP on the Belkin - still the same problem. Changed it to just WPA-PSK, and as anticipated, that really wasn't the problem.

Currently using the new netgear at the moment (just turned off UPnP and changed ti just WPA-PSK), and it appears to be working at the moment - but that's because I don't have any bittorrent on atm.

Shall keep y'all posted :D

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
    S Walch, Jul 1, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question