Anti-virus/Anti-malware Software Recommendations

Discussion in 'System Security & Infection Support' started by Hummingbird, May 25, 2012.

1. Hummingbird

Hummingbird VIP Member

Hey there - we're looking to get rid of Norton Antivirus due to cost and how it slows the computers . . . the Consumer Reports says that Avira and AVG are good and are even free. They also recommend G Data and Kaspersky internet security programs.

What do you guys use? Any recommendations? My dad and I are pretty smart online, but my mom gets into all kinds of stuff - has gotten trojans and worms on our desktop a couple times in the past. What's the best way to prevent these kinds of issues (as well as viruses, etc)?

Thanks!

Cynthia :)

Hummingbird, May 25, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Hummingbird

Maurice Bloody good bloke VIP Member

Hi Cynthia, AVG do have a free edition but it does have many limitaions compared to the paid for product. Kaspersky is also very good on a home PC and it's not so heavy on system resources. I use it on my PC at home as well as over 100 at work.

Others that also have a good reputation although I havent used them myself are NOD32 and Avast.

Maurice, May 25, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Hummingbird

darthweb VIP Member

I personally use Microsoft Security Essentials and then scan once a month with SpyBot.

Seems to keep me nice and clean :thumb:

darthweb, May 25, 2012
  4. Hummingbird

Hummingbird VIP Member

I've used SpyBot before when there's been an issue and it's awesome. Maybe we'll do Kapersky and a monthly SpyBot run . . . any other suggestions?

Hummingbird, May 25, 2012
  5. Hummingbird

techieguy

Antivirus Website

Hi,

Just recently purchased a new Kaspersky antivirus software from softwarespeedy.com so far everything worked okay, chat support is great! :thumb: and they're available 24/7 for tech issues.

techieguy, Sep 8, 2013
  6. Hummingbird

cobaltsean99

I use Malwarebytes for home and installed on on school computers, being the tech person where I work. We have noticed a significant change in viruses, being that they have been dramatically decreased. We used Malwarebytes Pro, and it's quite cheap, as one license works for many computers.

cobaltsean99, Jan 20, 2014
  7. Hummingbird

Bamaluver

Anti-malware programs

I'm in the same boat - I need a new anti-malware program recommendation. I used PC tools for years & they actually didn't do a bad job (running Avira anti-virus). I'd like to find one that that's recommended by folks that know these type of programs.

The one thing I liked about PC Tools was that I paid a yearly fee (maybe $28 - but it was licensed for up to 3 computers). Those seem to be hard to find. I have the free version of Malwarebytes, but would like one that I don't have to force to run. Help with updated recommendations?

Bamaluver, Feb 8, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question