All Antivirus for free in the future?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hereiam, Oct 20, 2010.

1. hereiam

hereiam

Can You Trust Your Free Antivirus Software?

Posted by rphessing.

While most free antivirus programs give you some value, they don’t have everything that their paid security application can offer. Something For Nothing, But Not Everything

Generally, the free apps have less-frequent malware-signature updates than paid products do, which can leave a window of opportunity for brand-new viruses to evade detection. Most of the free apps we tried update their signature databases only once daily. Some don’t check suspicious samples that don’t match a particular installed signature, by running the sample against the latest online signatures.

Some free utilities have fewer scanning options than paid apps from the same company do. For example, AVG’s paid antivirus program will scan on root-kits, but the company’s free doesn’t. Some free programs give you stuff you don’t want. The AVG app and Comodo Internet Security both default to installing unnecessary search or social networking browser toolbars.

…Forcing customers installing unnecessary search or social networking browser toolbars that only slows down your PC ?

We do not like PC slowdowns ourselves so we do not bother our customers. Updates once a day? We did not like that. That’s why ZenOK updates once every hour. Leave new (zero day) viruses behind? Why to give malware any chance? ZenOK Free Antivirus covers zero day viruses detected by malicious behavior. Root-kids only covered when you pay? With ZenOK the scanning capabilities are complete, No matter of you are a free or paid customer.​

Do you believe paid antivirus software is better than free antivirus software?

Leave a comment. :happy:

hereiam, Oct 20, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. hereiam

DaveSmolens

what's the difference?

They just said that free software is generally lacking something. So what is the difference between being a free or paid ZenOK Customer?

DaveSmolens, May 5, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. hereiam

DaveSmolens

It makes sense that they don't give everything, by why does zenok?

DaveSmolens, May 24, 2011
  4. hereiam

remixedcat meow!

how is panda cloud anti-virus?

remixedcat, Jul 2, 2011
  5. hereiam

BanStick

The software company is paid to install the tool bar. That is how they are able to give away the anti-virus for "free". They are also hoping that you will like the product and purchase the full version.

As for the frequency of the signature updates, most of the time your anti-virus is defaulted to checking one time per day whether it is paid or not. The only difference that would make is if you have someone monitoring for new threats and actively updating the software by hand when the new signature database is released, or change you anti-vrius update frequency (how many people change it from the default though?)

Usually the big difference between the free and paid versions are user options. They don't to give you a crap antivirus because then you won't be inclined to buy their paid version.

If you can live without the bells and whistles, the free version will do just fine.

BanStick, Jul 5, 2011
  6. hereiam

Edward

I think it would not be happened.Its a proper profitable industry so how can you say that it would be free in future ?

Edward, Jan 13, 2012
  7. hereiam

mndog75

Its just a marketing tool to drum up new business.The free version(I run comodo and webroot anti virus plus my router) is in hopes that if you like it, you tell friends who tell friends and you get the picture(word of mouth is still the best form of advertisement).

mndog75, Mar 1, 2012
  8. hereiam

Stoned.

Not if there's the option to update malware logs.

However I'm guessing - like Kaspersky where for free you can't update new viruses, same with all the others.

Stoned., Apr 8, 2013
  9. hereiam

jaydeee

I have Avast free with no issues at all.

jaydeee, May 5, 2013
  10. hereiam

cobaltsean99

I, personally, do believe paid antivirus software is better. For example, I use MalwareBytes. I have noticed a significant change in virus and bugs with school computers when I installed a paid copy of MalwareBytes on the school computers.

cobaltsean99, Jan 20, 2014
  11. hereiam

macfinest

I have Avast as well..but it's has started to create pop-ups

macfinest, Apr 29, 2015
  12. hereiam

Karennn

Many freeware got toolbar, pop-ups, and ad stuff. They need to earn money, so be OK with it.
    If you wanna a full and clean version, you'd better pay for it.
    I personally prefer the paid version.

Karennn, Apr 30, 2015
  13. hereiam

craycupcake

There are a lot of antivirus softwares out now. I use avira. It doesn'tn incorporate as many annoying pop ups! But of course free antivirus softwares don't come with a lot of security - only the basics are covered.

craycupcake, Mar 27, 2017
    1. Advertisements