Advent ERT 2250 Upgrade Problems

Discussion in 'System Building & Upgrades' started by doughheads, Jun 6, 2011.

1. doughheads

doughheads

Hi, I am attempting to to an upgrade of my friends laptop as above and have encountered a problem.

The system was runninng VISTA (no SP upgrades) and I attempted to do an install of WIN7 PRO x86 while the O/S was loaded. All went well right through to the end until the finalisation of this install where is says COMPLETING INSTALLATION. The laptop then froze and now will not boot up.

Now when I start the laptop it goes to the default options

-Start Windows in Safe Mode
    -Safe Mode with Networking
    -Safe Mode with Command Prompt
    -Last Known Good Configuration
    -Start Windows Normally

Whichever one I choose the laptop just goes through this cycle

-Starting Windows (logo)
    -Setup is starting services
    -it then just loops around again

Earlier I was getting an error to do with saying it could load and to put a CD in and start the installation again

It appears to me like the laptop is not picking up the CD/DVD from the player. This was working fine prior to the re-install. I have changed the BIOS settings to reflect booting from CD/DVD upon start up but it goes directly to the SAFE MODE screen

Alternatively if I press F1 I get the "Choose an operating system to start, or press TAB to select a tool"

-WINDOWS 7 is an option here but if I select it I just get the same as above

I have done F2, F12, F8 which all appear to take me to the BIOS in some way. I have also attempt of FUNCTION keys in the hope it will take me to the CD/DVD upon boot up with no success.

Is anybody able to assit me with this problem and why I may not be able to boot from CD/DVD

Please NOTE: I have burnt and tried all O/S's nearly, XP, VISTA, and WIN7. As I have MSDN subscription I am able to download any O/S to trouble shoot this problem

Have also attempt VISTA and WIN7 Recovery Disks

Any help would be appreciated

Newbie Posts: 1Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:40 am

doughheads, Jun 6, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. doughheads

Zeus Moderator

Double-check the BIOS and make sure your DVD drive is listed as a device. If it is, make it 1st on your boot priority and try again.

From what you are telling me, it seems as if the DVD drive crapped out at the end of the install.

Also try other bootable disks such as Norton Ghost or a Linux Live CD that loads into memory before touching the hard drive at all. If none of this works, it is definitely and issue with your DVD drive.

Zeus, Jun 7, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question