Adapter to join 2 USB cables?

Discussion in 'Computing' started by Paul, May 4, 2004.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Is there an adapter off sorts which allows you to join two USB cables,
    basically to make one longer cable. I went to Dick Smith today but they said
    they did not have it. I don't want to purchase a longer cable because it's
    quite expensive. Regards
    Paul, May 4, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. Paul

    Charlie Guest

    I've seen usb extensions listed in catalogues for fairly cheap prices...
    depends what length you're talking I guess.

    Charlie, May 4, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. Paul

    ????? Guest

    TRy using a HUB
    ?????, May 4, 2004
  4. Paul

    Ernest Guest

    You don't need one, normal USB cable will just plug
    into each pther, much the same a power extension leads.
    If you have one with a special end, such as come with
    some cameras, just get a normal cable and plu that
    into the computer with the special one in the end.

    All standard USB cables are female one end and male
    the other, not adapter needed.

    Deadly Ernest

    (my new keyboard, with small keys,
    accepts full responsibility for all
    typographical and spelling errors)
    Ernest, May 4, 2004
  5. Paul

    Paul Guest

    I've got two USB cables which I would like to join to make it longer. They
    are normal USB cables for a Canon printer. Would you've said does not work -
    they simply do not match like you say.
    Paul, May 4, 2004
  6. Paul

    Rod Speed Guest

    Bullshit. Most are AB cables and the A and B connectors cant
    plug into each other. One is flat and the other close to square.
    Not a fucking clue, as always.
    Pathetic, really.
    Rod Speed, May 4, 2004
  7. Paul

    E. Guest

    You can get female/male USB extenders, rather than a longer USB AB cable.
    The problem you may face is that they will lose power over distance.
    Some devices like PC cameras and powered printers may work ok, digicams,
    drives and scanners probably won't.

    Better to get a powered USB hub and add that to the equation.
    E., May 4, 2004
  8. Paul

    Dave Guest

    Try eBay, I got a 3 metre extension cable off there for $5.00 a couple
    of weeks ago. it has male/female A connectors. you can then plug your
    printer cable straight in to it.

    Ernest and Rod are both right, just talking about different items.
    you need a A-male to A-female extension cable.

    Like people said a extension cable should work fine with a powered
    device like a printer, unpowered devices might not work because of the
    loss in the extra cable length.
    Dave, May 4, 2004
  9. Paul

    Rod Speed Guest

    He clearly said

    That is just plane wrong.

    ONLY USB extension cables are like that.
    The problem with longer than legal isnt the
    power so much as potential signalling problems.
    Rod Speed, May 4, 2004
  10. Paul

    Clockmeister Guest

    In real life longer then legal often works without any problems though. I've
    had 12m of cabling without any problems with volt drop or signal
    degradation. Results can vary though, as always.
    Clockmeister, May 4, 2004
  11. Paul

    Ernest Guest

    Thus you have a non standard, device specific, USB
    cable, and it sounds like you have two non standard
    cables. In which case you will not find an adapter to
    join two non standard cables.

    I have three totally different USB cables, one is a
    non standard cable for the video camera to download
    to the PC, another non standard cable for my QMS
    printer and one standard USB cable. All have different
    female ends and all have the same male end.

    A standard USB cable can be plugged into itself, the
    same way that a power extension lead can, as they
    have a standard male end and then a matching
    standard female end, like an extension cable.

    This link is for a 1.8m USB cable with standard connectors
    for $14 from Cougar computers, it has pretty pictures
    to show you what I mean about the cable ends.

    Deadly Ernest

    (my new keyboard, with small keys,
    accepts full responsibility for all
    typographical and spelling errors)
    Ernest, May 5, 2004
  12. Paul

    Rod Speed Guest

    Thats why I used the word potential there.
    Rod Speed, May 5, 2004
  13. Paul

    Rod Speed Guest

    Wrong. Just a standard USB AB cable.

    They are what is used to connect normal USB devices.
    Best get your ears tested then.
    That is a standard USB cable.
    If you can use two of those together to get one
    twice as long, thats a USB extension cable.

    Normally with two A connectors, one male and one female.
    Nope, because it has one A connector and one B
    connector and they cannot be plugged together.
    No such animal with USB, there are TWO connectors, A and B
    That's a USB extension cable.
    Pity that aint a standard USB cable. Its a USB extension cable, as the label says.

    The standard USB cable is
    Rod Speed, May 5, 2004
  14. Paul

    Ernest Guest

    That is odd as two of the four USB devices I have
    came with cables just like that, the other two came
    with specialised cables. And the stores I have been
    in show them as USB cables and the others as being
    USB to Canon printer or USB to JVC C amera etc
    indicating that they a respecialised. Even some
    of the cable manufactures list USB male/female
    as plain standard USB cables and the others as
    USB A connector to USB B connector cables
    Deadly Ernest

    (my new keyboard, with small keys,
    accepts full responsibility for all
    typographical and spelling errors)
    Ernest, May 5, 2004
  15. Paul

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Both types are USB cables and standard. To distinguish between them
    they are given the A A designation or A B designation.

    The standard USB printer cable is A B and will fit any compliant USB
    printer. One doesn't have to go and buy a Canon one, or a HP one etc.
    Neither my two Canon printers or my HP printer require a specific
    branded cable, any old A B USB cable works fine, and the same cables
    can be used with my digital camera or the other USB devices I plug in
    from time to time.
    Oldus Fartus, May 5, 2004
  16. Paul

    Rod Speed Guest

    Yes, some do use USB extension cables.
    Wrong. The AB cable is the standard cable and even you
    should be able to grasp that the A wont plug into the B.
    The url you posted didnt. It correctly called it an extension cable.
    The absolute vast bulk of standard AB cables are just listed as USB cables.
    The one I bought most recently is labelled USB Device Cable.
    Most do list them as AB cables.
    Pathetic, really.
    Rod Speed, May 5, 2004
  17. Paul

    Rod Speed Guest

    Nope, the AB is the standard USB cable and the AA is an extension cable.
    The AB is normally called a device cable and the AA an extension cable.
    There are some USB devices around with a male A connector.

    Usually devices intended to be plugged directly into a USB port
    without using a cable, like with a 'thumb' or 'key' drive or an irda.
    Those can be supplied with an AA extension cable which allows
    it to be plugged in more conveniently when the only USB ports
    are on the back of the PC case.
    Rod Speed, May 5, 2004
  18. Paul

    Ernest Guest

    Well I have four devices two came with AA cables,
    the printer came with an AB, and the camera came
    with a different style of connector. My brother's
    camera is a different type of connector again, and
    his multi-memory style download device came with
    an AA connector, whilst his scanner cam with an
    AB connector. Since this came up I have spoken
    to family and friends about what they have and
    the results are interesting; we have discounted
    items that plug straight into the USB port like mice.

    35 items that require a cable not built in.

    15 use an AA cable
    8 use an AB cable
    7 use a cable with a platform style connector like
    my camera, most are cameras.
    5 with a funny connector like a very shruken USB
    port, but only about a quarter the size.

    Easy to see why the first poster was a bit confused
    about this. It seems tha manufacture's are confused to.

    Deadly Ernest

    (my new keyboard, with small keys,
    accepts full responsibility for all
    typographical and spelling errors)
    Ernest, May 5, 2004
  19. Paul

    Rod Speed Guest

    You in spades.
    Nope, those that use an AA cable are things that can
    plug into the USB port without using a cable, stupid.

    miniB has always been around, for smaller devices.
    Rod Speed, May 5, 2004
  20. Paul

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Fair enough Rod. Have bookmarked that URL for future reference.

    That makes sense, and would avoid anyone inadvertantly buying the wrong
    cable. All the ones I have bought have just been marked as AA or AB.
    Oldus Fartus, May 5, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.