Accessing router.......

Discussion in 'Networking and Internet' started by nived1964, Mar 1, 2010.

1. nived1964

nived1964

Hello,

New to forum, hope this is in the right thread, if not let me know where I should re-post.

I want to access my sisters router and open the ports so we can do a remote assist.
    I sent her a new laptop and while I had it here in Wisc I was able to to remote and desktop from diff locations.
    Once I sent it to her in Florida, I was unable to assist her.
    She has bellsouth and they are zero help to her, she has very little computer knowledge.

So can I access her router from Wisc as she is in Florida?

thanks

Dave

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
    nived1964, Mar 1, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. nived1964

Ian Administrator

Welcome to the forums Dave :)

Which router does your sister have? I think she will have to open up the router manually from her end to get it working.

Ian, Mar 2, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. nived1964

Zeus Moderator

You would not be able to access her router until after the ports are open. That is a security feature in the router's firewall. You will want to walk her through setting up port forwarding on the router to forward port 3389 to her laptop's IP address. She will also need to make sure that her laptop allows remote desktop connections.

Last but not least she will need to go to http://www.whatismyip.com/ and figure out her ISP assigned IP address. After all of this is complete, you put in her IP address and hit connect and you will be sitting pretty.

I connect to my home computers from work like this. You can change the default port from 3389 to whatever so I just connect to my home network and specify different ports to hit different computers :) It's real easy to setup, probably not going to be so easy to walk her through it though.

Zeus, Mar 2, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question