access forms

Discussion in 'Software' started by smack500, Nov 16, 2006.

1. smack500

smack500 VIP Member

Would like to create a form in access for work.Instead of the data being changed if I type something in there, I want it to find that data I typed in.

Name
    John samms

Number
    923 815 9323

address
    5500 angry ln.

Right now if I type in a name and submit it just changes the name. I would like to be able to type a name in the name field and it find that name and auto bring up the rest of that persons info.

smack500, Nov 16, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. smack500

Crimson Devil's Advocate VIP Member

You need to make a query. Put all the rows you want to show up in the list in the query. Right click and pick parameters. Type in what you want the query to ask (example Name Lookup: ). Enter the parameter in the criteria block (ensure it's in brackets example [Name Lookup:]). And save. Now when you run the query a window will open saying Name Lookup: and when you enter a name only that persons data will open up.

If you want something real snazzy set it up with a report associated with the query.

Crimson, Nov 17, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. smack500

smack500 VIP Member

Anyway to link rows to a word file?

smack500, Nov 17, 2006
  4. smack500

You can export the data.

When the query is ready, make a report that is controlled by the query you just made and set the report up to your liking. Then export the report.

When the report is exported it will ask you what format you want it in then ask for your query input. After everything is done it will open a word (or however you set it up) document with all the data you requested.

If you want it to be real easy there are also ways to setup menus using the forms so you will never have to see the spreadsheet or database backend.

Crimson, Nov 17, 2006
  5. smack500

smack500 VIP Member

In this case each row of the spreadsheet is a breif description of sheets that were scanned. After scanning them I put them in a word file, but I want others to be able to click on the breif description to get to the scanned sheets.

smack500, Nov 17, 2006
  6. smack500

OK, I think I follow you. This won't get you exactly what you want, but it will get you where you want to go. It'll add a Path section that is Hyperlinked to the file in question.

Go to the database. Highlight it. Click on Design View. Add a new field and change the datatype to hyperlink. Now put the path to the file in this field. Add this field to the query and report.

Crimson, Nov 18, 2006
  7. smack500

smack500 VIP Member

Thank you, thats what I was looking to do.

Now I just need to figure out how to create a better looking / more user friendly environment for this data to run in. I saw someone else do it with access, but Im guessing some VB or php is involved.

smack500, Nov 20, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question