A bit of a problem with Norton Antivirus

Discussion in 'System Security & Infection Support' started by specs78, Sep 25, 2005.

1. specs78

specs78 VIP Member

Hi everyone,

I've just switched on my 9100 that I got over the weekend, and I've just had a message come up saying something like "Norton Antivirus doesn't support the repair feature, please reinstall the program" What in the blue hell does that mean? how can I fix it without having the Norton CD? Thanks.

specs78, Sep 25, 2005
    1. Advertisements

2. specs78

jackb

Ditch norton and download AVG Antivirus. It'll save you the stress :thumb:

jackb, Sep 25, 2005
    1. Advertisements

3. specs78

joby Outlet Forums Contributor VIP Member

Ineresting - I had this on an Inspiron 6000 a little while ago. It only happened after you'd done the initial set of live updates. We tried everything to sort it out, tried removing and reinstalling, tried doing a full factory restore, no joy. Through more removing and reinstalling, I think we eventually got it to a point where it wasn't doing the error on startup, but was moaning about one particular bit of liveupdate that it couldn't do.

If its got the full version on then you should have the CD - but I guess maybe this is just the trial?

I know thats not much use in helping you fix the problem, but at least your not alone. There does apear to be some kind of bug in there somewhere. If you've paid for it, then I guess its worth a call to Dell CS - I guess they must know about this one by now.

joby, Sep 25, 2005
  4. specs78

specs78 VIP Member

Sounds good to me ;)

specs78, Sep 25, 2005
  5. specs78

jackb

Its the first thing I do when I get a Dell for personal use or a friend.

The Norton antivirus lasts what? 90 days? 180 days?

Stuff that, and I've always found it to slow my pc down a bit.

AVG Free Edition is the way to go.

Also, a 90 day trial is not worth arguing with the indians over :rofl2:

jackb, Sep 25, 2005
  6. specs78

mispriced

Search for the error code in google and you'll find a solution that doesn't involve re-installing Norton. I've used Norton AntiVirus years right upto the current 2005 product and never had a problem with it. It's paid for, reliable and trustworthy and certainly I wouldn't put my faith in a cheap nasty freebie application to protect my data from viruses.

mispriced, Sep 25, 2005
  7. specs78

Deal! Outlet Forums Contributor VIP Member

AVG... cheap nasty freebie? Riiiiight.

NOD32 is the best anti-virus you can get and pretty much any of the others are much of a muchness, with their own particular foibles. AVG isn't bad at all, certainly on a par with some of the paid for products.

I've found Norton to be a resource hog and always uninstall it from my Dell machines. Come to think of it, this might explain why your Inspiron 9300 is so slow.

Deal!, Sep 25, 2005
  8. specs78

jackb

I wouldn't use a 90 day free trial to protect my system though, and having never encountered a problem with AVG I'm not going to go out and buy a product annually to do the same job it does for free.

AVG, a decent program to weed out spyware, and the firewall included with my router have done me fine on all my systems for a few years, all of them heavily used with a broadband connection.

It is cheap, but I wouldn't call it nasty.

jackb, Sep 25, 2005
  9. specs78

Repo VIP Member

I keep trying Norton but the last 2-3 releases have all been pants. I'll stick to McAfee thanks :)

Repo, Sep 25, 2005
  10. specs78

obvious Outlet Forums Contributor VIP Member

I'm sorry mispriced but you seem to be relying on out of date info. Norton used to be the dog's bollocks but ever since Peter Norton sold out to Symantec the name is now worth nothing. All Norton products are now serious bloatware relying on a good name received many years ago. Symantec have added dozens, maybe hundreds of registry hooks and other garbage to all their products which go towards making them some of the most buggy resource hungry unreliable apps out there.

The only exceptions afaik are the norton corporate versions which have to hold their own in a business environment and are by necessity a lot more reliable.

obvious, Sep 26, 2005
  11. specs78

Ds3 VIP Member

Agreed, I use a corporate version of norton on my home network and it's fantastic, none of the bloatware that comes with Norton 2005 Pro which I trialed, just runs and updates in the background with no performance hit at all :)

Ds3, Sep 26, 2005
  12. specs78

Repo VIP Member

We use Norton AV at work.

The last upgrade (done remotely) made all the W2K machines crash as it conflicted with the network logon scripts which in turn corrupted loads of peoples network profiles. Our dick... sorry techheads had only tested the software on WXP machines...

Sub-sub-contracted ICT support really is all that it's made out to be :thumb:

Repo, Sep 26, 2005
  13. specs78

specs78 VIP Member

How do I go about getting rid of ALL of the Norton products on my PC? I've had them leave quite a lot of mess on my PCs in the past, with left over files and what not. :bow:

specs78, Sep 26, 2005
  14. specs78

obvious Outlet Forums Contributor VIP Member

You'll probably be ok to run the uninstallers followed by a registry cleaner/optimiser......on second thoughts you might be best off not messing with the registry unless you're feeling 'lucky' (sorry, couldn't resist)

obvious, Sep 26, 2005
  15. specs78

specs78 VIP Member

Me lucky? If I won the lottery I'd lose the bloomin ticket! I'll use the uninstallers then........ :banana:

here's a good webpage for maintaining XP........

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/OptimizeXP.html

specs78, Sep 26, 2005
  16. specs78

iGennie

i think you should switch to other better anti virus like AVG for better performance..

NOrton is just waste of a product

iGennie, Apr 14, 2011
  17. specs78

DaveSmolens

I ditched Norton and got AVG and I'm a happy lad ever since!

DaveSmolens, May 5, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question