"2012: the year the internet ends"

Discussion in 'Networking and Internet' started by spike228, Jun 2, 2008.

1. spike228

spike228 ST 38 VIP Member

http://ipower.ning.com/netneutrality

Seems like something pretty serious to think about. I've been hearing about issues on this for quite some time now but I've never taken the time to actually look at what's going on.

spike228, Jun 2, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. spike228

Nickweb Resident Filmaker Moderator

considering how the worlds gone kinda mad recently, this doesn't surprise me. Its like the TV industry, the smaller guys get pushed aside, like the shops too, smaller 'mom and pop' stores are being squashed by multi-national conglomerates (no names mentioned, although I'm guilty of working for one).

I have thought for a while that the Internet needs some kind of policing, as its currently a free-for-all IMO. Maybe this kind of neutrality is what the net needs to make it a safer place.

However I do think that we shouldn't have to pay any more than we do already for net access

Nickweb, Jun 2, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. spike228

S Walch MAME 0.64 :) VIP Member

I'm vehmently against this - It is completely ridiculous, and it just fuels the mass hysteria that the world is in at the moment.

Greedy clandestine corporations trying to subdue freedom of speech and get more money out of the paying poulace of the world.

Not saying that the Internet does need better policing (especially for paedohile webrings and internet sites), but they're in a minority compared to the actual websites (like this one) that is actually worth paying the monthly fee it already costs the consumer.

S Walch, Jun 2, 2008
  4. spike228

spike228 ST 38 VIP Member

Sites like these (web forums that aren't funded by a corporation) aren't going to even exist if people need to pay for certain access levels of internet.

Why would people pay extra just to come here? If you think this forum is kinda quiet now, it would be much worse if net neutrality fails to exist.

This is VERY real because anti-trust laws don't apply internationally. They are only applied to their respective countries. There is no clear government for the internet, so unless there's an international anti-trust law that makes it illegal for companies to bind together and screw the consumer, then I really don't see what is stopping this from happening.

spike228, Jun 3, 2008
  5. spike228

meltedbarrel

hehe that is not true....internet will never fail till we die would be the only option

meltedbarrel, Jan 22, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question