Transfer files FAT32 to NTFS

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by B H2, Jan 20, 2007.

  1. B H2

    B H2 Guest

    Hi guys,
    need some advice please. Have an old computer (windows98)with FAT32
    files on it, wanted to transfer them to a new computer windows XP NTFS
    system. What I did was to get an external caddy put the old FAT32 HDD
    into it, and connected it to the new Windows Xp computer NTFS. The new
    Xp computer recognised the old disk and named the folders, but would not
    show the contents, so I could not access the information and pictures.
    How can I get access to the old files and pics. Your help is appreciated
    Regards
    Bob
     
    B H2, Jan 20, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. B H2

    Rod Speed Guest

    B H2 <> wrote

    > need some advice please. Have an old computer (windows98)
    > with FAT32 files on it, wanted to transfer them to a new computer windows XP NTFS system. What I
    > did was to get an external caddy


    What do you mean by that ? Do you mean it connects via USB or what ?

    > put the old FAT32 HDD into it, and connected it to the new Windows Xp computer NTFS. The new Xp
    > computer recognised the old disk and named the folders, but would not show the contents,


    It should have done.

    > so I could not access the information and pictures. How can I get access to the old files and
    > pics.


    Connect the drive properly. Maybe try with the drive connected
    internally, tho thats more dangerous for your data.
     
    Rod Speed, Jan 20, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. B H2

    sbb78247 Guest

    B H2 wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    > need some advice please. Have an old computer (windows98)with FAT32
    > files on it, wanted to transfer them to a new computer windows XP NTFS
    > system. What I did was to get an external caddy put the old FAT32 HDD
    > into it, and connected it to the new Windows Xp computer NTFS. The
    > new Xp computer recognised the old disk and named the folders, but
    > would not show the contents, so I could not access the information
    > and pictures. How can I get access to the old files and pics. Your
    > help is appreciated Regards
    > Bob


    and exactly how was this drive jumpered? master? slave? cs?

    --
    sbb78247

    resident redneck alt.os.windows-vista
    alt.os.windows-xp


    you aint from around here, are ya' boy!
     
    sbb78247, Jan 20, 2007
    #3
  4. B H2

    B H2 Guest

    sbb78247 wrote:
    > B H2 wrote:
    >> Hi guys,
    >> need some advice please. Have an old computer (windows98)with FAT32
    >> files on it, wanted to transfer them to a new computer windows XP NTFS
    >> system. What I did was to get an external caddy put the old FAT32 HDD
    >> into it, and connected it to the new Windows Xp computer NTFS. The
    >> new Xp computer recognised the old disk and named the folders, but
    >> would not show the contents, so I could not access the information
    >> and pictures. How can I get access to the old files and pics. Your
    >> help is appreciated Regards
    >> Bob

    >
    > and exactly how was this drive jumpered? master? slave? cs?
    >

    Hi,
    no jumper needed on the external caddy, connected via USB, what I have
    done is to install a USB flash drive on the old computer, and copied
    them via that to the new comp
    Regards
    Bob
     
    B H2, Jan 20, 2007
    #4
  5. B H2

    Jeff Guest

    "B H2" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi guys,
    > need some advice please. Have an old computer (windows98)with FAT32 files
    > on it, wanted to transfer them to a new computer windows XP NTFS system.
    > What I did was to get an external caddy put the old FAT32 HDD into it, and
    > connected it to the new Windows Xp computer NTFS. The new Xp computer
    > recognised the old disk and named the folders, but would not show the
    > contents, so I could not access the information and pictures. How can I
    > get access to the old files and pics. Your help is appreciated
    > Regards
    > Bob


    Something other than the fat32 to ntfs is going on I think. There should be
    no problem in using a fat32 disk as a secondary disk on an xp system. I do
    it now with W2K and Vista RC1 by having an external bay with both fat32 and
    ntfs disks installed in it and have absolutely no problem reading from them,
    I can't imagine how XP would be any different. Perhaps someone else could
    correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't imagine how.

    Jeff


    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
     
    Jeff, Jan 20, 2007
    #5
  6. B H2

    philo Guest

    "B H2" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi guys,
    > need some advice please. Have an old computer (windows98)with FAT32
    > files on it, wanted to transfer them to a new computer windows XP NTFS
    > system. What I did was to get an external caddy put the old FAT32 HDD
    > into it, and connected it to the new Windows Xp computer NTFS. The new
    > Xp computer recognised the old disk and named the folders, but would not
    > show the contents, so I could not access the information and pictures.
    > How can I get access to the old files and pics. Your help is

    appreciated
    > Regards
    > Bob


    XP should have no problem reading a fat32 drive...
    just wondering if you are using USB1 or USB2

    you should be using USB2...

    If you have a lot of data in the folders...
    with USB1 it may take a very long time to access the data
     
    philo, Jan 20, 2007
    #6
  7. B H2

    Jeff Guest

    "B H2" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > sbb78247 wrote:
    >> B H2 wrote:
    >>

    > Hi,
    > no jumper needed on the external caddy, connected via USB, what I have
    > done is to install a USB flash drive on the old computer, and copied them
    > via that to the new comp
    > Regards
    > Bob


    Something other than the fat32 to ntfs is going on I think. There should be
    no problem in using a fat32 disk as a secondary disk on an xp system. I do
    it now with W2K and Vista RC1 by having an external bay (scsi) with both
    fat32 and
    ntfs disks installed in it and have absolutely no problem reading from them,
    I can't imagine how XP would be any different. Perhaps someone else could
    correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't imagine how.

    Jeff


    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
     
    Jeff, Jan 20, 2007
    #7
  8. B H2

    Rod Speed Guest

    Jeff <> wrote
    > B H2 <> wrote
    >> sbb78247 wrote
    >>> B H2 wrote


    >> no jumper needed on the external caddy, connected via USB, what I
    >> have done is to install a USB flash drive on the old computer, and
    >> copied them via that to the new comp


    > Something other than the fat32 to ntfs is going on I think. There
    > should be no problem in using a fat32 disk as a secondary disk on an
    > xp system. I do it now with W2K and Vista RC1 by having an external
    > bay (scsi) with both fat32 and
    > ntfs disks installed in it and have absolutely no problem reading
    > from them, I can't imagine how XP would be any different.


    It isnt, I have mixed FAT32 and NTFS drives working fine with XP.

    > Perhaps someone else could correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't imagine how.
     
    Rod Speed, Jan 20, 2007
    #8
  9. B H2

    JAD Guest

    "B H2" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > sbb78247 wrote:
    >> B H2 wrote:
    >>> Hi guys,
    >>> need some advice please. Have an old computer (windows98)with FAT32
    >>> files on it, wanted to transfer them to a new computer windows XP NTFS
    >>> system. What I did was to get an external caddy put the old FAT32 HDD
    >>> into it, and connected it to the new Windows Xp computer NTFS. The
    >>> new Xp computer recognised the old disk and named the folders, but
    >>> would not show the contents, so I could not access the information
    >>> and pictures. How can I get access to the old files and pics. Your
    >>> help is appreciated Regards
    >>> Bob

    >>
    >> and exactly how was this drive jumpered? master? slave? cs?
    >>

    > Hi,
    > no jumper needed on the external caddy, connected via USB, what I have
    > done is to install a USB flash drive on the old computer, and copied them
    > via that to the new comp
    > Regards
    > Bob


    I have found that some 'caddies' that are questionable in quality and
    circuitry have large data transfer problems.
     
    JAD, Jan 20, 2007
    #9
  10. B H2

    Jeff Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > "B H2" <> wrote in message
    > news:...


    > just wondering if you are using USB1 or USB2
    >
    > you should be using USB2...
    >
    > If you have a lot of data in the folders...
    > with USB1 it may take a very long time to access the data



    I'm sorry to laugh, but the guy can't even see the files, so does it matter
    if it takes longer to transfer files that you can't transfer to being with?

    ...reminds me of the joke about the passenger who heard the airplane pilot
    explain that the flight would be delayed so that it would now take 3 hours
    to get to NY because one of the 3 engines went out. ...short time later the
    pilot now says 5 hours to land because the 2nd of 3 engines went out.
    ....passenger tells someone else that he just hopes that the 3rd engine
    doesn't go out because then they will be up there forever.



    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com
     
    Jeff, Jan 21, 2007
    #10
  11. B H2

    B H2 Guest

    Jeff wrote:
    >
    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >>
    >> "B H2" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...

    >
    >> just wondering if you are using USB1 or USB2
    >>
    >> you should be using USB2...
    >>
    >> If you have a lot of data in the folders...
    >> with USB1 it may take a very long time to access the data

    >
    >
    > I'm sorry to laugh, but the guy can't even see the files, so does it
    > matter if it takes longer to transfer files that you can't transfer to
    > being with?
    >
    > ..reminds me of the joke about the passenger who heard the airplane
    > pilot explain that the flight would be delayed so that it would now take
    > 3 hours to get to NY because one of the 3 engines went out. ...short
    > time later the pilot now says 5 hours to land because the 2nd of 3
    > engines went out. ...passenger tells someone else that he just hopes
    > that the 3rd engine doesn't go out because then they will be up there
    > forever.
    >
    >
    >

    Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the help, it was strange, maybe it was the caddy, but I could
    see the folders but not the contents, but when I went into the
    properties, it showed the entire size of the drive, which means it could
    see the contents but only showed the folders with no contents. Put the
    drive back into the computer and then copied the contents to a flash
    drive and transfered them that way. Thanks for you help guys
    Regards
    Bob
     
    B H2, Jan 21, 2007
    #11
  12. B H2

    philo Guest

    "Jeff" <> wrote in message
    news:45b2e980$0$24467$...
    >
    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > >
    > > "B H2" <> wrote in message
    > > news:...

    >
    > > just wondering if you are using USB1 or USB2
    > >
    > > you should be using USB2...
    > >
    > > If you have a lot of data in the folders...
    > > with USB1 it may take a very long time to access the data

    >
    >
    > I'm sorry to laugh, but the guy can't even see the files, so does it

    matter
    > if it takes longer to transfer files that you can't transfer to being

    with?
    >



    My thinking was simply that he was not allowing enough time for the files
    to appear.
    I recently tried to transfer some files via USB1 and the* folders* appeared
    in windows explorer...
    but it took a long time for the *files* to show up...
    and once they did , an impossibly long time to transfer.

    Problem was solved by putting the external drive in a USB2-capable enclosure
     
    philo, Jan 21, 2007
    #12
  13. B H2

    B H2 Guest

    philo wrote:
    > "Jeff" <> wrote in message
    > news:45b2e980$0$24467$...
    >> "philo" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>> "B H2" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:...
    >>> just wondering if you are using USB1 or USB2
    >>>
    >>> you should be using USB2...
    >>>
    >>> If you have a lot of data in the folders...
    >>> with USB1 it may take a very long time to access the data

    >>
    >> I'm sorry to laugh, but the guy can't even see the files, so does it

    > matter
    >> if it takes longer to transfer files that you can't transfer to being

    > with?
    >
    >
    > My thinking was simply that he was not allowing enough time for the files
    > to appear.
    > I recently tried to transfer some files via USB1 and the* folders* appeared
    > in windows explorer...
    > but it took a long time for the *files* to show up...
    > and once they did , an impossibly long time to transfer.
    >
    > Problem was solved by putting the external drive in a USB2-capable enclosure
    >
    >

    Hi Guys,
    you could be right, soon as I saw the empty folders I shut it down and
    put the drive back in the computer. The caddy was USB1 the new
    computer was USB2.
    Regards
    Bob
     
    B H2, Jan 21, 2007
    #13
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. SwordWielder

    How do I convert FAT32 to NTFS?

    SwordWielder, Mar 27, 2003, in forum: Software
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    961
    SwordWielder
    Mar 28, 2003
  2. Swishsticks
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    893
    Swishsticks
    Sep 16, 2004
  3. TheOneGreatX

    NTFS or FAT32

    TheOneGreatX, Jan 17, 2005, in forum: General Discussion
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    1,751
    Snugglez
    Jan 21, 2005
  4. karansaraf

    FAT32 --> NTFS without losing data?

    karansaraf, Nov 4, 2006, in forum: Hardware
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    1,088
  5. Maxim S. Shatskih
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    340
    Maxim S. Shatskih
    Apr 22, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page