iphone 3gs won't connect to iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nospam, Feb 26, 2011.

  1. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Bob H
    <> wrote:

    > I have just recieved a iphone 3gs from an ebay seller who says the phone
    > was working before it was sold to me.
    >
    > It will not connect to itunes no matter what I do and try.
    > I have searched and read various forums about this problem, and none of
    > the possible cures work for me.
    >
    > I have even taken the phone to an Apple shop where I live and they could
    > not get it to connect to iTunes either, and said the phone must be faulty.


    sounds like it is defective.

    what does the phone do? have you tried dfu and a full restore?
     
    nospam, Feb 26, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Bob H
    <> wrote:

    > > what does the phone do? have you tried dfu and a full restore?

    >
    > When I turn the phone on it wants or shows that it needs to connect to
    > iTunes, and there is also a lock icon at the top of the screen.
    > With my simcard in I can only make emergency calls.


    then it's not entirely defective. however, the seller still lied and
    you may have other problems if you do get it working.

    > What is dfu and how do I do a dull restore from switching it on.


    dfu is the lowest level where you can flash the firmware, a last resort.

    have you done any type of firmware update? click restore in itunes, and
    it should restore a stock firmware. that should work unless it's really
    screwed up (which it might be).

    if that doesn't work you should try dfu mode. if you do dfu, you'll
    probably want to download the firmware file from apple (and that makes
    it easier even for a standard restore). just be sure the file you
    download is for your model phone. if itunes downloaded it, then it's
    the right one, you just have to locate it.

    <http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034>

    <http://osxdaily.com/2010/06/24/iphone-dfu-mode-explained-and-how-to-ent
    er-dfu-mode-on-your-iphone/>
     
    nospam, Feb 26, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <>,
    Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > > I have just recieved a iphone 3gs from an ebay seller who says the phone
    > > was working before it was sold to me.
    > >
    > > I have even taken the phone to an Apple shop where I live
    > > and they could
    > > not get it to connect to iTunes either, and said the phone must be faulty.

    >
    > If so, why did they not give you a replacement phone?


    probably because it's a 3gs he bought off ebay. even an apple store is
    not likely to replace it, unless it is under applecare.
     
    nospam, Feb 26, 2011
    #3
  4. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Bob H
    <> wrote:

    > I think its going to go back to the seller.


    good idea.
     
    nospam, Feb 26, 2011
    #4
  5. nospam

    Bob H Guest

    I have just recieved a iphone 3gs from an ebay seller who says the phone
    was working before it was sold to me.

    It will not connect to itunes no matter what I do and try.
    I have searched and read various forums about this problem, and none of
    the possible cures work for me.

    I have even taken the phone to an Apple shop where I live and they could
    not get it to connect to iTunes either, and said the phone must be faulty.

    Is it faulty or is there an answer to this problem which I haven't tried.

    Thanks
     
    Bob H, Feb 26, 2011
    #5
  6. nospam

    Bob H Guest

    On 26/02/2011 15:08, nospam wrote:
    > In article<>, Bob H
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have just recieved a iphone 3gs from an ebay seller who says the phone
    >> was working before it was sold to me.
    >>
    >> It will not connect to itunes no matter what I do and try.
    >> I have searched and read various forums about this problem, and none of
    >> the possible cures work for me.
    >>
    >> I have even taken the phone to an Apple shop where I live and they could
    >> not get it to connect to iTunes either, and said the phone must be faulty.

    >
    > sounds like it is defective.
    >
    > what does the phone do? have you tried dfu and a full restore?



    When I turn the phone on it wants or shows that it needs to connect to
    iTunes, and there is also a lock icon at the top of the screen.
    With my simcard in I can only make emergency calls.

    What is dfu and how do I do a dull restore from switching it on.

    Thanks
     
    Bob H, Feb 26, 2011
    #6
  7. nospam

    JKConey Guest

    I can give you lots of ways to possibly solve this problem, but if they
    couldn't get you to connect at the Apple store then my guess is that this
    may have been a jailbroken phone that is now corrupt. You have a few
    choices. Hopefully you paid using Paypal, and you can ask for a full refund
    and send it back. You can send it to a geek like me to fool with, and get it
    up and working again.


    --

    www.myconeyislandmemories.com
     
    JKConey, Feb 26, 2011
    #7
  8. nospam

    Bob H Guest

    On 26/02/2011 18:50, JKConey wrote:
    > I can give you lots of ways to possibly solve this problem, but if they
    > couldn't get you to connect at the Apple store then my guess is that
    > this may have been a jailbroken phone that is now corrupt. You have a
    > few choices. Hopefully you paid using Paypal, and you can ask for a full
    > refund and send it back. You can send it to a geek like me to fool with,
    > and get it up and working again.
    >
    >



    If you could tell me ways either on here or by my personal email addy,
    I'll try them, but as for sending you the phone, that could be a long
    job as I am in the UK.

    Thanks
     
    Bob H, Feb 26, 2011
    #8
  9. In article <>,
    Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > > and they could not get it to connect to iTunes either, and said the
    > > phone must be faulty.

    >
    > If so, why did they not give you a replacement phone?


    Because it's out of warranty?

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
    People's Democratic Republic is to Democracy.
     
    Michelle Steiner, Feb 26, 2011
    #9
  10. nospam

    Bob H Guest

    On 26/02/2011 19:25, Jolly Roger wrote:
    > In article<>,
    > Bob H<> wrote:
    >
    >> I have just recieved a iphone 3gs from an ebay seller who says the phone
    >> was working before it was sold to me.
    >>
    >> It will not connect to itunes no matter what I do and try.
    >> I have searched and read various forums about this problem, and none of
    >> the possible cures work for me.
    >>
    >> I have even taken the phone to an Apple shop where I live

    >
    > Was it an actual Apple store?
    >
    >> and they could
    >> not get it to connect to iTunes either, and said the phone must be faulty.

    >
    > If so, why did they not give you a replacement phone?
    >
    >> Is it faulty or is there an answer to this problem which I haven't tried.

    >
    > If Apple says it is faulty, why bother trying to get confirmation? Take
    > it back and let them give you one that isn't faulty.
    >


    I bought of a seller on ebay, and the sore I took it to was an actual
    Apple store

    Thanks
     
    Bob H, Feb 26, 2011
    #10
  11. nospam

    Bob H Guest

    On 26/02/2011 16:17, nospam wrote:
    > In article<>, Bob H
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> what does the phone do? have you tried dfu and a full restore?

    >>
    >> When I turn the phone on it wants or shows that it needs to connect to
    >> iTunes, and there is also a lock icon at the top of the screen.
    >> With my simcard in I can only make emergency calls.

    >
    > then it's not entirely defective. however, the seller still lied and
    > you may have other problems if you do get it working.
    >
    >> What is dfu and how do I do a dull restore from switching it on.

    >
    > dfu is the lowest level where you can flash the firmware, a last resort.
    >
    > have you done any type of firmware update? click restore in itunes, and
    > it should restore a stock firmware. that should work unless it's really
    > screwed up (which it might be).
    >
    > if that doesn't work you should try dfu mode. if you do dfu, you'll
    > probably want to download the firmware file from apple (and that makes
    > it easier even for a standard restore). just be sure the file you
    > download is for your model phone. if itunes downloaded it, then it's
    > the right one, you just have to locate it.
    >
    > <http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034>
    >
    > <http://osxdaily.com/2010/06/24/iphone-dfu-mode-explained-and-how-to-ent
    > er-dfu-mode-on-your-iphone/>



    I have not done any type of update whatsoever on the phone as I cannot
    get to connect to iTunes and nor is it recognised on or by my pc

    To do the restore, the phone needs to be seen by iTunes doesn't it? At
    least that is how I see it from what I have read in iTunes help.
    Furthermore, when I run iTunes diagnostics check, it cannot find the iphone.

    Following the instructions to put the phone into dfu mode doesn't work
    for me, even when I time it to exactly 10 seconds before releasing the
    sleep button.

    I think its going to go back to the seller.

    Thanks
     
    Bob H, Feb 26, 2011
    #11
  12. nospam

    Lewis Guest

    In message <>
    Bob H <> wrote:
    > I have just recieved a iphone 3gs from an ebay seller who says the phone
    > was working before it was sold to me.


    > It will not connect to itunes no matter what I do and try.
    > I have searched and read various forums about this problem, and none of
    > the possible cures work for me.


    > I have even taken the phone to an Apple shop where I live and they could
    > not get it to connect to iTunes either, and said the phone must be faulty.


    > Is it faulty or is there an answer to this problem which I haven't tried.


    If Apple says it is faulty, it is faulty. Get your money back, and be
    sure all your communication is through the ebay site (don't email him
    directly, if he emails you directly, paste his reply in to the ebay mail
    window when you reply to him).

    He probably bricked his phone.

    If you can't put it into recovery mode, it's pretty much dead.

    --
    "Remember -- that which does not kill us can only make us stronger."
    "And that which *does* kill us leaves us *dead*!"
     
    Lewis, Feb 26, 2011
    #12
  13. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <ikcetv$k5h$-september.org>, JKConey
    <> wrote:

    > I had an Ebay phone replaced once at the Apple store. I'm guessing as
    > long as it's still under warranty, the owner doesn't matter?


    the owner doesn't matter (they go by the serial number), but the 3gs
    came out about 20 months ago, so it's very likely one on ebay is more
    than 1 year old and no longer under warranty.
     
    nospam, Feb 27, 2011
    #13
  14. nospam

    JKConey Guest

    "nospam" <> wrote in message
    news:260220111130109223%...
    > In article <>,
    > Jolly Roger <> wrote:
    >
    >> > I have just recieved a iphone 3gs from an ebay seller who says the
    >> > phone
    >> > was working before it was sold to me.
    >> >
    >> > I have even taken the phone to an Apple shop where I live
    >> > and they could
    >> > not get it to connect to iTunes either, and said the phone must be
    >> > faulty.

    >>
    >> If so, why did they not give you a replacement phone?

    >
    > probably because it's a 3gs he bought off ebay. even an apple store is
    > not likely to replace it, unless it is under applecare.



    I had an Ebay phone replaced once at the Apple store. I'm guessing as
    long as it's still under warranty, the owner doesn't matter?

    --

    www.myconeyislandmemories.com
     
    JKConey, Feb 27, 2011
    #14
  15. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <ikf3bp$8i6$-september.org>, JKConey
    <> wrote:

    > >> I had an Ebay phone replaced once at the Apple store. I'm guessing
    > >> as long as it's still under warranty, the owner doesn't matter?

    > >
    > > the owner doesn't matter (they go by the serial number), but the 3gs
    > > came out about 20 months ago, so it's very likely one on ebay is more
    > > than 1 year old and no longer under warranty.

    >
    > Haven't they been steadily selling the 3GS all this time, including
    > refurbs?


    not really, which is why the price was cut to $49 to clear dead stock.
    it's also a 'new' 3gs, with only 8 gig, as opposed to the original 3gs
    which were 16 & 32 gig.
     
    nospam, Feb 28, 2011
    #15
  16. nospam

    JKConey Guest

    "nospam" <> wrote in message
    news:260220111914270703%...
    > In article <ikcetv$k5h$-september.org>, JKConey
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I had an Ebay phone replaced once at the Apple store. I'm guessing
    >> as
    >> long as it's still under warranty, the owner doesn't matter?

    >
    > the owner doesn't matter (they go by the serial number), but the 3gs
    > came out about 20 months ago, so it's very likely one on ebay is more
    > than 1 year old and no longer under warranty.




    Haven't they been steadily selling the 3GS all this time, including
    refurbs?


    --

    www.myconeyislandmemories.com
     
    JKConey, Feb 28, 2011
    #16
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. SMS
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    353
  2. Larry
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    324
    Larry
    Jan 8, 2010
  3. nospam
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    837
    nospam
    Aug 29, 2010
  4. Martin ©¿©¬

    iTunes can't find my 3gs

    Martin ©¿©¬, Oct 18, 2012, in forum: iPhone
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    747
    Martin ©¿©¬
    Oct 20, 2012
  5. Fred Moore

    'Cannot connect to iTunes Store'

    Fred Moore, Dec 14, 2012, in forum: iPad
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    612
    Fred Moore
    Dec 15, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page