Don't shop at Home Depot

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruslanb76, Apr 26, 2006.

1. ruslanb76

ruslanb76 pivo prosim VIP Member

Please don't shop at Home Depot. According to "new" policy all fulltime employees must be available from 6am to 11pm seven days a week. At the store my wife works at 4 fulltime mothers, some single parents, just got cut to part time which is no guarantee of hours and cut backs in winter. These were all people that had worked there for years and I am worried for them and their children. If you are a parent, particularly a single parent without a flexible grandparent or inlaw or something, Home Depot doesn't want you. And they wonder why all the employees there are upset and not helpful. If you have kids, think about what that would mean for you and shop somewhere else please. I've said my peace thanks.

ruslanb76, Apr 26, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. ruslanb76

James Photojournalist VIP Member

That's a pretty rediculous policy, especially for the a business like Home Depot. I usually shop at local stores if possible.

James, Apr 26, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. ruslanb76

sethzag Leaping tall bldg

So don't shop at Home Depot, and drive their numbers down, which would lead to layoffs? :?

I don't think a boycott would accomplish much.

Obviously Home Depot is making a policy to protect themselves. All stores realize that they have to have some flexibility regarding their employees and what hours they work. It sounds like they are instituting the policy so they have leverage to release current employees that are causing problems.

sethzag, Apr 28, 2006
  4. ruslanb76

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

I try to do the same. They tend to be more friendly, and informed on their products. When I was buying my backpack from a local outdoors shop, I spent about three hours being fitted fot the right pack. I probably could have saved 50-100 bucks by going to a chain or some huge corperation like REI, but I wanted a quality purchace that should last the next 10-15 years. I am not saying all Home Depots have quality employees/products, just the one I live to is not. Although I do not see much of a difference in stratagies between REI, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Fry's; those CEOs are greedy sons of a guns. Personally I do not care if Wal-Mart (or Home Depot) is saving me money if I shop there or not, it is hurting the local community and business. The people that know what they are doing can no long afford to stay in business because they have lowered their prices as low as they can go, and the coperations can still lower their prices. In a way it is "dumping" which here in the states is illegal, but of course these over sized companies can get away with it by using some sill excuse.

</:rant> Yeh, sorry for the long post, it is something that just gets on my nerves. I just think that companies should treat their employees fairly. I doubt that will ever happen in my life time.

Goober, Apr 28, 2006
  5. ruslanb76

spike228 ST 38 VIP Member

i just bought a dremel from there :/

spike228, Apr 29, 2006
  6. ruslanb76

sethzag Leaping tall bldg

Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc. have their place. Big chains have been around for a looong time. It's no longer the 60's and the new Wal-Mart is driving mom and pop out of business.
    If I want to buy a part to fix my toilet, or buy lumber to build a deck, then I go to Home Depot. That's why they are called do-it-yourself stores.
    If I want service and get a custom fitted backpack, then I go to a specialty store.
    That's why they are in business. They know they can't compete with bulk prices or chain stores. So they sell what the chains can't. Service.

@ Goober: I suppose you buy all of your computer parts from the local computer store, and not newegg? ;)

sethzag, Apr 29, 2006
  7. ruslanb76

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

lol I dont shop at newegg ;) (not as if zipzoomfly is any different)

I would shop at our local pc shops but they suck, horribly. :sigh

Goober, Apr 29, 2006
    1. Advertisements