BBC embedded media player error

Discussion in 'Networking and Internet' started by hardy_minor, Jun 20, 2011.

1. hardy_minor

hardy_minor

Dear All,

Hope I am in the right place for this, but I have been getting an error message on the bbc website for sometime now.

When I try and stream a video is states "media selection request failed" and the erro code when I right click is:

EMP v.3.0.0.r440234_441894_1
    Error code : MediationError [0] : media selection request failed
    null

I have no idea what this means. I have Flash and JAVA installed. Windows XP and IE 8 (did not work with IE7 either)

If anyone can shed light on the situation I would be very grateful

Thanks

hardy_minor, Jun 20, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. hardy_minor

Maurice Bloody good bloke VIP Member

Not come across this myself. A question, are you behind a Firewall of some sort? i.e. is this PC at your place of work and behind a corporate hardware Firewall?

If not and this is a home PC do you have an anti-virus package with built in Firewall such as Norton, Kaspersky etc?

I suspect that the media content is being blocked by a Firewall somewhere.

The BBC iPlayer help page can be found here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/help/iplayer/
    and at - http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/

Maurice, Jun 20, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. hardy_minor

hardy_minor

It is my work computer and there is no windows firewall but maybe a corporate one. What is strange is that youtube works and the 2 second bbc intro (when it comes up with the bbc logo works but as soon as it goes into the actual video it comes up with media selction request failed.

Also iplayer works fine it is the only the embedded videos on the rest of the bbc site that are not working.

4. hardy_minor

Maurice Bloody good bloke VIP Member

In this case I do suspect that the problem is the corporate Firewall doing the blocking. I suspect that it is what is known as 'content type' settings causing this. Different elements of the web pages particularly embedded media have a content type and I suspect that one specific one is not being allowed through the Firewall.

This is normally easily remedied by monitoring the logs on the Firewall as someone attempst to access the content. The blocking will show in the log and the technician can then go into the Firewall and amend the configuration.

Of course, being a corporate Firewall there may be a different attitude to changing any settings.

Maurice, Jun 20, 2011
  5. hardy_minor

hardy_minor

Seems that it must be this as I have just checked a couple of colleauges computers and it does not work on theirs either. Very annoying - I reckon they got tired of the server grinding to a halt during wimbledon!

Thanks

1. Advertisements