Advice request about SATA3 3.5-inches HDD racks

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Castor Nageur, Sep 12, 2011.

  1. Hi everybody,

    I am actually building my new home computer which will exclusively use
    SATA3 hard disks.
    For the convenience, I want to have all my hard disks racked.

    I read the reviews on NewEgg and most of the recent racks (mostly Icy
    Box & Icy Dock) do not have a power off switch.
    I know the SATA3 connector is designed to be plug & play but I think
    it would be much better is the power could be off while removing the
    disk.

    In my old computer, I use some Icy Box IB-138SK-B-II SATA2 racks wich
    have a mixed lock/power off key but I did not find the equivalent on
    new SATA 3 HDD.
    These racks work very well and I never met any issues with them (but
    they are SATA2 :-().

    Here are my questions:

    * I found much trayless racks than in the past so what do you think of
    them ? Are they as reliable as tray racks (personally, I don't think
    so) ?
    * Do you thing a hard disk can really be safely removed from the rack
    while the power is on ?
    * Do you know a robust SATA3 rack model which has a front power off
    switch (as far as I am concerned, I did not find one) ?

    Thanks in advance for your help.
     
    Castor Nageur, Sep 12, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 07:36:41 -0700 (PDT), Castor Nageur
    <> wrote:

    >I read the reviews on NewEgg and most of the recent racks (mostly Icy
    >Box & Icy Dock) do not have a power off switch.
    >I know the SATA3 connector is designed to be plug & play but I think
    >it would be much better is the power could be off while removing the
    >disk.


    I have an Icy-Dock unit and I don't like it.
     
    Loren Pechtel, Sep 12, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. On 12 sep, 17:19, Loren Pechtel <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 07:36:41 -0700 (PDT), Castor Nageur
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >I read the reviews on NewEgg and most of the recent racks (mostly Icy
    > >Box & Icy Dock) do not have a power off switch.
    > >I know the SATA3 connector is designed to be plug & play but I think
    > >it would be much better is the power could be off while removing the
    > >disk.

    >
    > I have an Icy-Dock unit and I don't like it.


    This is true I read a lot of negative reviews about Icy Dock (not to
    confuse with Icy Box) units on NewEgg.

    Why don't you like it ?
     
    Castor Nageur, Sep 12, 2011
    #3
  4. Castor Nageur

    Davej Guest

    On Sep 12, 8:36 am, Castor Nageur <> wrote:
    > [...]
    > * I found much trayless racks than in the past so what do you think of
    > them ? Are they as reliable as tray racks (personally, I don't think
    > so) ?


    I am trying a pair of trayless drives right now. So far they seem to
    work. I am not attempting hot-swap.
     
    Davej, Sep 12, 2011
    #4
  5. On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 08:44:19 -0700 (PDT), Castor Nageur
    <> wrote:

    >On 12 sep, 17:19, Loren Pechtel <> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 07:36:41 -0700 (PDT), Castor Nageur
    >>
    >> <> wrote:
    >> >I read the reviews on NewEgg and most of the recent racks (mostly Icy
    >> >Box & Icy Dock) do not have a power off switch.
    >> >I know the SATA3 connector is designed to be plug & play but I think
    >> >it would be much better is the power could be off while removing the
    >> >disk.

    >>
    >> I have an Icy-Dock unit and I don't like it.

    >
    >This is true I read a lot of negative reviews about Icy Dock (not to
    >confuse with Icy Box) units on NewEgg.
    >
    >Why don't you like it ?


    The initial one didn't work, period.

    The replacement unit worked for a while but it's not been very many
    months and I noticed my backup failed--it wasn't seeing part of it.
    Now I can't get the unit to power up at all.

    It also leaks voltage back on the USB connection. The machine won't
    POST if this leak gets to the motherboard. When I mentioned that when
    griping about the first non-functional unit they didn't seem to
    consider it a problem. (Not only does it mean you have to unplug the
    USB to boot but my experience is that it will in time destroy the port
    on the motherboard. I consider my unit to be eSATA only because of
    this.)
     
    Loren Pechtel, Sep 12, 2011
    #5
  6. On 9/12/2011 10:12 AM, Davej wrote:
    > On Sep 12, 8:36 am, Castor Nageur<> wrote:
    >> [...]
    >> * I found much trayless racks than in the past so what do you think of
    >> them ? Are they as reliable as tray racks (personally, I don't think
    >> so) ?

    >
    > I am trying a pair of trayless drives right now. So far they seem to
    > work. I am not attempting hot-swap.


    I've been using the Antec EasySATA trayless bay-docks/racks for a couple
    of years on various machines with no issues.
    http://store.antec.com/Product/accessories-other/easy-sata/0-761345-30750-5.aspx.

    "Hot Swap"? Unless it's in a RAID array, I don't see much need for it.
    But I have tested it in both XP and Win7 and it works fine as long as
    AHCI is enabled properly.

    I prefer trayless docks/racks anyway. Every time I've found a decently
    priced trayed model, finding the bare trays a year later becomes damned
    near impossible.

    The nice thing about SATA is the (now) universal dimensions/locations of
    the rear connectors on the drives. The only SATA drive I've had problems
    with in the EasySATA was a very early Samsung "skinny" unit that needed
    a little shimming.



    --
    "Shit this is it, all the pieces do fit.
    We're like that crazy old man jumping
    out of the alleyway with a baseball bat,
    saying, "Remember me motherfucker?"
    Jim “Dandy” Mangrum
     
    Nobody > (Revisited), Sep 12, 2011
    #6
  7. Castor Nageur

    helloworld Guest

    On 12 sep, 22:47, Loren Pechtel <> wrote:

    > The initial one didn't work, period.


    > It also leaks voltage back on the USB connection. The machine won't
    > POST if this leak gets to the motherboard.


    So you have an external eSATA Icy Dock with both USB & eSATA ports.
    I was talking about internal racks but even for internal products, I
    read that several users who had their HDD destroyed by Icy Dock's
    products.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...rue&Keywords=(keywords)&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

    So I prefer avoiding this brand.

    As far as I am concerned, I have been using 3 of these and never met
    any problem (I oftenly do hot plug):

    http://www.raidsonic.de/en/products/mobile-racks.php?we_objectID=6276

    The only problem is they are SATA2.
    Unfortunately, all the new models are trayless and does not have a
    power switch.
     
    helloworld, Sep 13, 2011
    #7
  8. On 12 sep, 23:43, "Nobody > (Revisited)" <>
    wrote:

    > I've been using the Antec EasySATA trayless bay-docks/racks for a couple
    > of years on various machines with no issues.http://store.antec.com/Product/accessories-other/easy-sata/0-761345-3....


    Thanks but this rack does not support SATA3 as the little sentence
    says: "* Data transfer speeds of up to 3Gbps"

    > "Hot Swap"? Unless it's in a RAID array, I don't see much need for it.


    I am using HDD as I was using DVD and I do not use RAID.
    I do a lot of photos and stores them in RAW format.
    I also do a lot of disk to disk backup.
    Because I never stop my computer (and do not want to do it), hot swap
    is very useful for me.

    > I prefer trayless docks/racks anyway. Every time I've found a decently
    > priced trayed model, finding the bare trays a year later becomes damned
    > near impossible.


    That's right, each brand has its own proprietary rack format so you
    have to buy everything again when you change.

    > The nice thing about SATA is the (now) universal dimensions/locations of
    > the rear connectors on the drives. The only SATA drive I've had problems
    > with in the EasySATA was a very early Samsung "skinny" unit that needed
    > a little shimming.


    I also read that some disk prevent you from closing the rack door
    because they are too big.
    This problem generally does not occur when the disk is screwed on a
    tray.
     
    Castor Nageur, Sep 13, 2011
    #8
  9. On 9/13/2011 5:21 AM, Castor Nageur wrote:

    > I also read that some disk prevent you from closing the rack door
    > because they are too big.


    The Antec EasySATA has a door, but it's only to close the hole with no
    drive inserted , mainly for airflow and dust reasons.


    --
    "Shit this is it, all the pieces do fit.
    We're like that crazy old man jumping
    out of the alleyway with a baseball bat,
    saying, "Remember me motherfucker?"
    Jim “Dandy” Mangrum
     
    Nobody > (Revisited), Sep 13, 2011
    #9
  10. On 13 sep, 19:47, "Nobody > (Revisited)" <>
    wrote:

    > The Antec EasySATA has a door, but it's only to close the hole with no
    > drive inserted , mainly for airflow and dust reasons.


    I finally ordered this HDD bay:

    http://lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_index=285&cl_index=2&sc_index=5&ss_index=12&g=f

    I like it because it seems robust (as many reviewers said) and the
    SATA cables are directly plugged to the HDD (there is no electronic
    between the SATA controller and the HDD).
    Moreover, it uses 3 racks but allows 4 HDD to be plugged and is well
    cooled by the 12cm fan.
     
    Castor Nageur, Sep 19, 2011
    #10
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Eugene Miya

    CHM request: "We need 9 track tape racks"

    Eugene Miya, Mar 6, 2007, in forum: Storage
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    282
    Eugene Miya
    Mar 6, 2007
  2. Art

    Re: StarTech HD Racks

    Art, Feb 22, 2005, in forum: PC Hardware
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    275
  3. Dewey Edwards

    Motherboard with SATA3 and USB3

    Dewey Edwards, Apr 23, 2010, in forum: PC Hardware
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    342
  4. Gabriel Knight

    Screen size help in inches

    Gabriel Knight, May 5, 2010, in forum: PC Hardware
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    202
    VanguardLH
    May 5, 2010
  5. David.WE.Roberts

    SATA3 Seagate 3TB - any vies?

    David.WE.Roberts, Jan 22, 2013, in forum: DIY Computers
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    455
    David WE Roberts
    Jan 29, 2013
Loading...

Share This Page