Computer Help Forums

Computer Help Forum > TechieHQ Office > Newsgroup Archive > iPhone > [SOLVED] Process Killer app

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

[SOLVED] Process Killer app

 
 
Gary
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jan 8th, 12, 4:19 PM
Does anyone know what this app actually does? I downloaded it and
killed all running process (except 2), but when I then went to the
multitasking screen (press home twice), the apps that were supposed to
have been killed were still there. So what is the app doing?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Michelle Steiner
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jan 8th, 12, 4:40 PM
In article <4f09b3f0$0$20331$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed) om>,
Gary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Does anyone know what this app actually does? I downloaded it and
> killed all running process (except 2), but when I then went to the
> multitasking screen (press home twice), the apps that were supposed to
> have been killed were still there. So what is the app doing?


That screen shows recently opened apps; they are not necessarily running.
Read this article to understand what's happening:

<http://www.macworld.com/article/1646...asking_really_
works.html>

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
People's Democratic Republic is to Democracy.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ed Cryer
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jan 8th, 12, 5:14 PM
Michelle Steiner wrote:
> In article<4f09b3f0$0$20331$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed) raweb.com>,
> Gary<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know what this app actually does? I downloaded it and
>> killed all running process (except 2), but when I then went to the
>> multitasking screen (press home twice), the apps that were supposed to
>> have been killed were still there. So what is the app doing?

>
> That screen shows recently opened apps; they are not necessarily running.
> Read this article to understand what's happening:
>
> <http://www.macworld.com/article/1646...asking_really_
> works.html>
>


I've monitored and examined this process using the System app. And I've
come to the conclusion that iOS has a big problem with memory
allocation. It's the Suspended state of memory-hogging that causes the
problem. What iOS does is use as much RAM as it can, and only clear out
when it needs space.

In the System app, look at the memory usage diagram, clear the
white-marked area, see available RAM grow.

You can try my proven method as a test. Run as normal until it takes
some time to give the click-off sound after pressing the button; about a
second or so delay. Reboot, run a program, press off button and get the
click-off sound immediately.

I now reboot daily.


Ed



 
Reply With Quote
 
Ed Cryer
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jan 8th, 12, 11:11 PM
Jolly Roger wrote:
> In article<jecfhd$87d$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Ed Cryer<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Michelle Steiner wrote:
>>> In article<4f09b3f0$0$20331$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed) raweb.com>,
>>> Gary<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Does anyone know what this app actually does? I downloaded it and
>>>> killed all running process (except 2), but when I then went to the
>>>> multitasking screen (press home twice), the apps that were supposed to
>>>> have been killed were still there. So what is the app doing?
>>>
>>> That screen shows recently opened apps; they are not necessarily running.
>>> Read this article to understand what's happening:
>>>
>>> <http://www.macworld.com/article/1646...asking_really_
>>> works.html>

>>
>> I've monitored and examined this process using the System app. And I've
>> come to the conclusion that iOS has a big problem with memory
>> allocation. It's the Suspended state of memory-hogging that causes the
>> problem. What iOS does is use as much RAM as it can, and only clear out
>> when it needs space.

>
> What you just described is how most Unix operating systems work today.
>
>> In the System app, look at the memory usage diagram, clear the
>> white-marked area, see available RAM grow.

>
> What "System" application are you talking about?
>
>> You can try my proven method as a test. Run as normal until it takes
>> some time to give the click-off sound after pressing the button; about a
>> second or so delay. Reboot, run a program, press off button and get the
>> click-off sound immediately.

>
> I don't recall ever seeing a significant delay on my iPhone 4. As soon
> as I press the sleep button, the screen goes dark.
>
>> I now reboot daily.

>
> That seems like a really silly thing to do, but whatever floats your
> boat.
>


Don't be stupid, birdbrain.

Ed

 
Reply With Quote
 
Alan Browne
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jan 9th, 12, 2:04 AM
On 2012-01-08 10:40 , Michelle Steiner wrote:
> In article<4f09b3f0$0$20331$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed) raweb.com>,
> Gary<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know what this app actually does? I downloaded it and
>> killed all running process (except 2), but when I then went to the
>> multitasking screen (press home twice), the apps that were supposed to
>> have been killed were still there. So what is the app doing?

>
> That screen shows recently opened apps; they are not necessarily running.
> Read this article to understand what's happening:
>
> <http://www.macworld.com/article/1646...asking_really_
> works.html>


Good article. Thanks.

It would be nice if (eg.):

-Running apps that are in background were highlighted with a green
square around them.

-Foreground, but inactive, highlighted with a yellow square around them.

-Suspended/resident - not running, orange square.

Symbol/color could be different, just putting up the notion that it
should be easily identifiable.

--
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty."
Douglas Adams - (Could have been a GPS engineer).
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tom Stiller
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jan 9th, 12, 3:28 AM
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2012-01-08 10:40 , Michelle Steiner wrote:
> > In article<4f09b3f0$0$20331$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed) raweb.com>,
> > Gary<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> Does anyone know what this app actually does? I downloaded it and
> >> killed all running process (except 2), but when I then went to the
> >> multitasking screen (press home twice), the apps that were supposed to
> >> have been killed were still there. So what is the app doing?

> >
> > That screen shows recently opened apps; they are not necessarily running.
> > Read this article to understand what's happening:
> >
> > <http://www.macworld.com/article/1646...asking_really_
> > works.html>

>
> Good article. Thanks.
>
> It would be nice if (eg.):
>
> -Running apps that are in background were highlighted with a green
> square around them.
>
> -Foreground, but inactive, highlighted with a yellow square around them.
>
> -Suspended/resident - not running, orange square.
>
> Symbol/color could be different, just putting up the notion that it
> should be easily identifiable.


What would you do differently if you had that information?

--
PRAY, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf
of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy. -- Ambrose Bierce
 
Reply With Quote
 
Michelle Steiner
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jan 9th, 12, 4:21 AM
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It would be nice if (eg.):
>
> -Running apps that are in background were highlighted with a green
> square around them.
>
> -Foreground, but inactive, highlighted with a yellow square around them.


Since only one app can be in the foreground, it's active. And is not shown
in the recent-apps bar.

I doubt that there are enough people interested in this for it to be worth
Apple's time, and if Apple did do it, they would have a devil of a time
explaining what it means to the average user.

-- Michelle

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
People's Democratic Republic is to Democracy.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Michelle Steiner
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jan 9th, 12, 4:23 AM
In article <jed4cp$cmi$(E-Mail Removed)>, Ed Cryer <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> > That seems like a really silly thing to do, but whatever floats your
> > boat.

>
> Don't be stupid, birdbrain.


"whatever floats your boat" means essentially, do what you want; it won't
hurt anything. So he's stupid and a birdbrain for saying that?

I note that you didn't answer his question about what "System" app you're
talking about.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
People's Democratic Republic is to Democracy.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Wes Groleau
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jan 9th, 12, 4:54 AM
On 01-08-2012 11:14, Ed Cryer wrote:
> I now reboot daily.


I reboot when it acts up. Maybe once a week. And I think that's the
fault of certain apps, not of IOS.

--
Wes Groleau

You always have time for what you do first.
 
Reply With Quote
 
tnom@mucks.net
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jan 9th, 12, 10:38 AM
On Sun, 8 Jan 2012 10:19:12 -0500, Gary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Does anyone know what this app actually does? I downloaded it and
>killed all running process (except 2), but when I then went to the
>multitasking screen (press home twice), the apps that were supposed to
>have been killed were still there. So what is the app doing?


The app is shutting all but two down. The multiple icons you
see when you double click are just shortcuts to apps that are
no longer running.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Process Killer app Gary iPad 80 Jan 16th, 12 11:14 PM
Re: Killer App: Speech-to-Speech Translator Developed For iPhone Your Name iPhone 18 Nov 5th, 09 6:14 AM
Re: Killer App: Speech-to-Speech Translator Developed For iPhone DevilsPGD iPhone 3 Oct 31st, 09 9:01 PM
Re: iPhone - Killer App Larry iPhone 1 Jul 23rd, 09 7:27 AM
[SOLVED] Re: iPhone - Killer App Larry iPhone 0 Jul 23rd, 09 5:07 AM