Computer Help Forums

Computer Help Forum > TechieHQ Office > Newsgroup Archive > iPhone > [SOLVED] Move iTunes library files to another location?

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

[SOLVED] Move iTunes library files to another location?

 
 
Jeffrey Kaplan
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      May 15th, 09, 12:07 AM
Using iTunes 8 in Vista.

I want to move iTunes' library/data files to another location. Note
that I am NOT referring to the media files, those are already on the
other location and iTunes sees them just fine.

I'm talking about the data files like album art, and the itl, itdb and
xml database files. These are currently on the internal hard drive and
I want iTunes to access them from an external/portable drive instead.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
Double ROT13 encoded for your protection

"Oh... oh no. Drall give Zathras list of things not to say, this was
one of them. No, umm... not good. Not supposed to mention one, or
The One, or... you never heard that." (Zathras, B5 "War Without End,
Pt. 1")
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
nospam
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      May 15th, 09, 12:40 AM
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jeffrey
Kaplan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Using iTunes 8 in Vista.
>
> I want to move iTunes' library/data files to another location. Note
> that I am NOT referring to the media files, those are already on the
> other location and iTunes sees them just fine.
>
> I'm talking about the data files like album art, and the itl, itdb and
> xml database files. These are currently on the internal hard drive and
> I want iTunes to access them from an external/portable drive instead.


drag the itunes library folder to wherever you want, launch itunes and
then point it to the new location (preferences, advanced tab).
alternately, launch itunes with the alt key down and choose the new
location that way.

once you are satisfied that it's working properly, delete the original.
if it doesn't work, you can switch back.

however, it might be a little more involved if the library file has
relative paths (not sure if it does on windows).
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jeffrey Kaplan
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      May 15th, 09, 2:33 AM
Previously on misc.phone.mobile.iphone, nospam said:

> > I'm talking about the data files like album art, and the itl, itdb and
> > xml database files. These are currently on the internal hard drive and
> > I want iTunes to access them from an external/portable drive instead.

>
> drag the itunes library folder to wherever you want, launch itunes and
> then point it to the new location (preferences, advanced tab).


That only changes where the media files go, not the library/data files.
It's the library/data files I want to move.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
Double ROT13 encoded for your protection

Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #67.
No matter how many shorts we have in the system, my guards will be
instructed to treat every surveillance camera malfunction as a full-
scale emergency.
 
Reply With Quote
 
nospam
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      May 15th, 09, 3:13 AM
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jeffrey
Kaplan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > I'm talking about the data files like album art, and the itl, itdb and
> > > xml database files. These are currently on the internal hard drive and
> > > I want iTunes to access them from an external/portable drive instead.

> >
> > drag the itunes library folder to wherever you want, launch itunes and
> > then point it to the new location (preferences, advanced tab).

>
> That only changes where the media files go, not the library/data files.
> It's the library/data files I want to move.


the library folder contains those files. you said the music is already
in a different location.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Larry
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      May 15th, 09, 4:48 AM
Jeffrey Kaplan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) :

> It's the library/data files I want to move.
>
> --
> Jeffrey Kaplan


Bluetooth pair tablet to device files are located on...or...Plug in USB
cable between both....

Open File Manager and select file system of other device....

Highlight the files you want one at a time or the whole directory...

DRAG file stack to one of the memory cards in the directory you want to
put the files...

Lift stylus and Linux copies files highlighted to new directory on cards
in couple of minutes....

Boot one of the plethora of players installed...

Player autosearches and displays all files on all locations...

Press PLAY button to start playing without some asshole nanny company
telling you what you CAN and CAN'T do...

Why do you guys put up with that ****?!....?????

================================================== =================

2 more iPhone converts, today! I was watching YouTube videos using new
@Scene YouTube interface at iHop:

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/digiaatscene/

http://www.digia.com/C2256FEF0043E9C1/0/405001939

http://www.digia.com/C2256FEF0043E9C1/0/405001937

Digia didn't get anybody's "permission" to develop the new browser or
YouTube player....They just went off crazy and done it. Maemo Linux
users are very greatful for the fantastic software, not terrified like
iPhone users brainwashed that new software will turn their boxes into a
useless brick. It will even upload YouTube videos directly from the
little Linux tablet out in the boondocks via sellphone data links, even
from my various video cameras, whos memory cards I've plugged into the
tablet's external card slot or with the USB cable directly. How cool is
that?!

Thank you, Digia! - Thank you, Nokia!......(c;]
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jeffrey Kaplan
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      May 15th, 09, 6:20 AM
Previously on misc.phone.mobile.iphone, nospam said:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jeffrey
> Kaplan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > > > I'm talking about the data files like album art, and the itl, itdb and
> > > > xml database files. These are currently on the internal hard drive and
> > > > I want iTunes to access them from an external/portable drive instead.
> > >
> > > drag the itunes library folder to wherever you want, launch itunes and
> > > then point it to the new location (preferences, advanced tab).

> >
> > That only changes where the media files go, not the library/data files.
> > It's the library/data files I want to move.

>
> the library folder contains those files.
> you said the music is already
> in a different location.


My iTunes library/database files are in the iTunes default location on
the internal hard drive. My media files are on an external portable
hard drive. I want the library/database files on the external portable
with the media files.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
Double ROT13 encoded for your protection

Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #67.
No matter how many shorts we have in the system, my guards will be
instructed to treat every surveillance camera malfunction as a full-
scale emergency.
 
Reply With Quote
 
nospam
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      May 15th, 09, 9:29 AM
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jeffrey
Kaplan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My iTunes library/database files are in the iTunes default location on
> the internal hard drive. My media files are on an external portable
> hard drive. I want the library/database files on the external portable
> with the media files.


quit itunes, copy the library/database files to wherever you want,
launch itunes with the alt key down and point itunes to the new
location. once you're satisfied everything works, delete the original
library/database folder (or keep it as a backup).

since the location of the music didn't change, relative paths shouldn't
be an issue, but i mention that as a possible gotcha.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jeffrey Kaplan
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      May 16th, 09, 4:53 AM
Previously on misc.phone.mobile.iphone, nospam said:

> quit itunes, copy the library/database files to wherever you want,
> launch itunes with the alt key down and point itunes to the new
> location. once you're satisfied everything works, delete the original
> library/database folder (or keep it as a backup).
>
> since the location of the music didn't change, relative paths shouldn't
> be an issue, but i mention that as a possible gotcha.


Didn't work. When I entered the location of the data files directory
into the Start In field, saved the changes and then start iTunes, it
ignored it and recreated a default data set in the default location.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
The from userid is killfiled Send personal mail to gordol

"Including Turkey in the EU would prove that Europe is not the
exclusive club of a single religion." - George W. Bush, on admitting
Turkey into the European Union, Jun, 2004
 
Reply With Quote
 
nospam
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      May 16th, 09, 8:41 AM
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jeffrey
Kaplan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > quit itunes, copy the library/database files to wherever you want,
> > launch itunes with the alt key down and point itunes to the new
> > location. once you're satisfied everything works, delete the original
> > library/database folder (or keep it as a backup).
> >
> > since the location of the music didn't change, relative paths shouldn't
> > be an issue, but i mention that as a possible gotcha.

>
> Didn't work. When I entered the location of the data files directory
> into the Start In field, saved the changes and then start iTunes, it
> ignored it and recreated a default data set in the default location.


turns out it's the shift key. usually alt=option but i guess not in
this case.

you should get a dialogue that looks like this:
<http://www.ilounge.com/assets/images/articles_transferring/4.jpg>
click choose library and point it to the new location.

here's some more info:
<http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/art...-your-itunes-l
ibrary-to-a-new-hard-drive>
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jeffrey Kaplan
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      May 17th, 09, 10:47 PM
Previously on misc.phone.mobile.iphone, nospam said:

> > Didn't work. When I entered the location of the data files directory
> > into the Start In field, saved the changes and then start iTunes, it
> > ignored it and recreated a default data set in the default location.

>
> turns out it's the shift key. usually alt=option but i guess not in
> this case.


Shift-click didn't do anything at all.

> you should get a dialogue that looks like this:
> <http://www.ilounge.com/assets/images/articles_transferring/4.jpg>
> click choose library and point it to the new location.


Nope, I do not get that dialog.

> here's some more info:
> <http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to-a-new-hard-drive>


Those instructions do nothing on this computer.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
The from userid is killfiled Send personal mail to gordol

"Including Turkey in the EU would prove that Europe is not the
exclusive club of a single religion." - George W. Bush, on admitting
Turkey into the European Union, Jun, 2004
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sometimes I can't move an app in iTunes Howard Brazee iPad 0 Jul 29th, 12 2:51 PM
[SOLVED] iTunes Match Will Replace the Music Library... Davoud iPhone 21 Nov 20th, 11 7:07 AM
No files in Library Terri Smith iPhone 2 Dec 12th, 10 3:21 AM
[SOLVED] Re: How to move my iPhone Apps from one computer to another one? Michelle Steiner iPhone 0 Jun 27th, 09 6:58 PM
Sony CDL5000 CD Library OSL2000 Optical Library max Storage 0 Nov 3rd, 03 5:28 PM