Computer Help Forums

Computer Help Forum > TechieHQ Office > Newsgroup Archive > iPhone > What is iMessage?

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

What is iMessage?

 
 
Chris Pisarra
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jan 11th, 12, 3:31 AM
So sometimes my text messages are in blue, indicating iMessage, I guess.

What is it? Do I care? Does it make a difference to me in any way? Can I
choose to use it instead of regular texting? Why would I? Or why wouldn't
I?

This seems like a distinction without a difference.

Chris


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Michelle Steiner
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jan 11th, 12, 4:34 AM
In article <jeisa9$46g$>,
"Chris Pisarra" <> wrote:

> So sometimes my text messages are in blue, indicating iMessage, I guess.
>
> What is it? Do I care? Does it make a difference to me in any way? Can I
> choose to use it instead of regular texting? Why would I? Or why wouldn't
> I?


If you have unlimited texting, it won't make a difference, but if you have
limited texting or strictly pay per text, iMessage can save you money.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
People's Democratic Republic is to Democracy.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
BreadWithSpam@fractious.net
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jan 11th, 12, 5:22 AM
Michelle Steiner <> writes:
> In article <jeisa9$46g$>,
> "Chris Pisarra" <> wrote:
>
>> So sometimes my text messages are in blue, indicating iMessage, I guess.
>> What is it? Do I care? Does it make a difference to me in any way?


> If you have unlimited texting, it won't make a difference, but if you have
> limited texting or strictly pay per text, iMessage can save you money.


It adds a bunch of features above and beyond traditional SMS (or
even MMS) messaging.

For one, the "address" which routes a message may be the
cell-phone number, like traditional messages -- but it also
may be any e-mail address you (or the recipient) has registered
with Apple. That's how iMessage messages get to folks who
have iPads and iPod Touch devices. You may register as many
e-mail addresses as you like.

iMessage messages travel over your internet connection (if
you have 3G, it'll use that, if you have wifi, it'll use that).

It's possible to have read-receipts in iMessage (not that I'm
sure why anyone would actually use them).

When you are typing, the recipient will see "..." showing them so.

Messages are not limited to 140 chars.

It's possible to have a multi-person chat.

There are probably other things, but that's all I can think
at the moment.

Oh, and, of course, it's free - unlike SMS (which is one of
the most astounding rip-offs I've ever seen - the phone
companies have been making out like bandits on that).

--
Plain Bread alone for e-mail, thanks. The rest gets trashed.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Howard Brazee
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jan 11th, 12, 3:11 PM
On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 20:34:18 -0700, Michelle Steiner
<> wrote:

>In article <jeisa9$46g$>,
> "Chris Pisarra" <> wrote:
>
>> So sometimes my text messages are in blue, indicating iMessage, I guess.
>>
>> What is it? Do I care? Does it make a difference to me in any way? Can I
>> choose to use it instead of regular texting? Why would I? Or why wouldn't
>> I?

>
>If you have unlimited texting, it won't make a difference, but if you have
>limited texting or strictly pay per text, iMessage can save you money.


I don't have texting at all. It would cost an extra $10/month for
the minimum amount of texting. But I can text my daughter who has
an iPhone because iMessage doesn't use Verizon's texting. Her
daughters want me to have conventional texting though.

I can even use iMessage with my wi-fi iPad. My hope is that a
universal app comes out that works with competitor's devices - causing
the phone companies' texting model to die.

--
"In no part of the constitution is more wisdom to be found,
than in the clause which confides the question of war or peace
to the legislature, and not to the executive department."

- James Madison
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Blunt
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jan 11th, 12, 10:46 PM
On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 23:22:20 -0500, wrote:

>Michelle Steiner <> writes:
>> In article <jeisa9$46g$>,
>> "Chris Pisarra" <> wrote:
>>
>>> So sometimes my text messages are in blue, indicating iMessage, I guess.
>>> What is it? Do I care? Does it make a difference to me in any way?

>
>> If you have unlimited texting, it won't make a difference, but if you have
>> limited texting or strictly pay per text, iMessage can save you money.

>
>It adds a bunch of features above and beyond traditional SMS (or
>even MMS) messaging.
>
>For one, the "address" which routes a message may be the
>cell-phone number, like traditional messages -- but it also
>may be any e-mail address you (or the recipient) has registered
>with Apple. That's how iMessage messages get to folks who
>have iPads and iPod Touch devices. You may register as many
>e-mail addresses as you like.


Where do you register those email addresses?

I have my main email address registered as my Apple ID, so I assume
Apple would know about that. When I registered for iCloud I was also
allocated a new email in the format , so perhaps that is
another.

If my iPhone is switched off and someone sends me an iMessage, would
that be delivered to one of my email addresses? There more I delve
into this iMessage stuff the more I realise how little I understand
the mechanics of what is actually going on.

Chris
 
Reply With Quote
 
Michelle Steiner
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jan 12th, 12, 12:13 AM
In article <>,
Chris Blunt <> wrote:

> Where do you register those email addresses?


They're automatically registered when you set up the account on the iPhone.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
People's Democratic Republic is to Democracy.
 
Reply With Quote
 
DevilsPGD
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jan 12th, 12, 1:21 AM
In message <> someone claiming
to be Chris Blunt <> typed:

>If my iPhone is switched off and someone sends me an iMessage, would
>that be delivered to one of my email addresses? There more I delve
>into this iMessage stuff the more I realise how little I understand
>the mechanics of what is actually going on.


No, you won't receive anything via email. Email addresses are just used
as identifiers.

--
It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to
steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
BreadWithSpam@fractious.net
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jan 12th, 12, 2:01 AM
Chris Blunt <> writes:
> On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 23:22:20 -0500, wrote:


>>For one, the "address" which routes a message may be the
>>cell-phone number, like traditional messages -- but it also
>>may be any e-mail address you (or the recipient) has registered


> Where do you register those email addresses?


Settings->Messages->Receive At

You put in an e-mail address, Apple sends e-mail to that
address to confirm, then it's activated.

> I have my main email address registered as my Apple ID, so I assume
> Apple would know about that. When I registered for iCloud I was also
> allocated a new email in the format , so perhaps that is
> another.


It should, but you can add any e-mail addresses you like.

> If my iPhone is switched off and someone sends me an iMessage, would
> that be delivered to one of my email addresses? There more I delve


No. The e-mail address is just an identifier. As far as I
know, the only time it's used by iMessage is the one time, when
you register that e-mail address to link it to your account,
to confirm it. After that, the address is just an identifier
used to route iMessage messages to the Message app, not e-mail.



--
Plain Bread alone for e-mail, thanks. The rest gets trashed.
 
Reply With Quote
 
deepak@drypin.com
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Nov 23rd, 12, 8:58 AM
On Wednesday, January 11, 2012 8:01:35 AM UTC+5:30, Chris Pisarra wrote:
> So sometimes my text messages are in blue, indicating iMessage, I guess.
>
>
>
> What is it? Do I care? Does it make a difference to me in any way? Can I
>
> choose to use it instead of regular texting? Why would I? Or why wouldn't
>
> I?
>
>
>
> This seems like a distinction without a difference.
>
>
>
> Chris


imessage is an app that works with iPhone, iPad, iPod-touch and Mac also. You can send text message, video, audio and contact with wi-fi from this app
Source: http://drypin.com/?p=198
 
Reply With Quote
 
Michelle Steiner
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Nov 23rd, 12, 2:59 PM
In article <jeisa9$46g$>,
"Chris Pisarra" <> wrote:

> So sometimes my text messages are in blue, indicating iMessage, I guess.
>
> What is it? Do I care? Does it make a difference to me in any way? Can I
> choose to use it instead of regular texting? Why would I? Or why wouldn't
> I?
>
> This seems like a distinction without a difference.


If you send a txt via iMessage, it goes through Apple's iMessage network
instead of your cell company's text message service. So it doesn't count
against your text message allocation. (OF course, if you have unlimited
texting, that doesn't matter.) If you're in an area where you have WiFi,
but no cell signal, you can send an iMessage, but not a conventional text
message.

And therein lie the differences.

--
The 2012 elections are over; let the 2016 campaigning begin!
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off