Computer Help Forums

Computer Help Forum > TechieHQ Office > Newsgroup Archive > iPad > [SOLVED] Recipe program

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

[SOLVED] Recipe program

 
 
Howard Brazee
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Apr 21st, 11, 3:00 AM
Anybody here know of a way to write recipes on a Mac and read them on
an iPad?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
sbt
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Apr 21st, 11, 3:19 AM
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Howard Brazee
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Anybody here know of a way to write recipes on a Mac and read them on
> an iPad?


Simple if you use Pages. Write the recipe on the Mac and open it in
Pages on the iPad. Alternatively, you could go whole-hog and do it all
on the iPad as described in one of the projects in the iPad Project
Book (Peachpit)...a new edition has been announced to come out the
first or second week of May, depending on which book site you want to
consider credible.
<http://www.amazon.com/iPad-2-Project...ef=sr_1_2?s=bo
oks&ie=UTF8&qid=1303352255&sr=1-2>
Check out the second bulleted item in the Product Description area.

--
Spenser
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Howard Brazee
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Apr 21st, 11, 3:28 AM
On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 19:19:52 -0700, sbt
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Anybody here know of a way to write recipes on a Mac and read them on
>> an iPad?

>
>Simple if you use Pages. Write the recipe on the Mac and open it in
>Pages on the iPad. Alternatively, you could go whole-hog and do it all
>on the iPad as described in one of the projects in the iPad Project
>Book (Peachpit)...a new edition has been announced to come out the
>first or second week of May, depending on which book site you want to
>consider credible.
><http://www.amazon.com/iPad-2-Project...ef=sr_1_2?s=bo
>oks&ie=UTF8&qid=1303352255&sr=1-2>
>Check out the second bulleted item in the Product Description area.


We don't use Pages, and would rather buy a program designed for the
task that had a companion app. I don't know if such is available.

--
"In no part of the constitution is more wisdom to be found,
than in the clause which confides the question of war or peace
to the legislature, and not to the executive department."

- James Madison
 
Reply With Quote
 
sbt
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Apr 21st, 11, 3:52 AM
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Howard Brazee
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 19:19:52 -0700, sbt
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >> Anybody here know of a way to write recipes on a Mac and read them on
> >> an iPad?

> >
> >Simple if you use Pages. Write the recipe on the Mac and open it in
> >Pages on the iPad. Alternatively, you could go whole-hog and do it all
> >on the iPad as described in one of the projects in the iPad Project
> >Book (Peachpit)...a new edition has been announced to come out the
> >first or second week of May, depending on which book site you want to
> >consider credible.
> ><http://www.amazon.com/iPad-2-Project...ef=sr_1_2?s=bo
> >oks&ie=UTF8&qid=1303352255&sr=1-2>
> >Check out the second bulleted item in the Product Description area.

>
> We don't use Pages, and would rather buy a program designed for the
> task that had a companion app. I don't know if such is available.


There are a number of recipe apps (e.g. Epicurious), but not one that
I'm aware of that lets you create the recipe cards.

How's this as a possible solution? Print to PDF on the Mac and transfer
them into Bookman or Goodreads, both excellent (and free) PDF tools on
the iPad. Bookman uses an iBooks-like bookshelf metaphor where you can
create multiple bookshelves, plus it has some excellent search and
preview capabilities. Goodreads is a pretty nifty PDF markup utility,
so you can annotate the PDFs once you have them on your iPad.

--
Spenser
 
Reply With Quote
 
BreadWithSpam@fractious.net
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Apr 21st, 11, 4:12 AM
Howard Brazee <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


>>> Anybody here know of a way to write recipes on a Mac and read them on
>>> an iPad?

>>
>>Simple if you use Pages. Write the recipe on the Mac and open it in
>>Pages on the iPad. Alternatively, you could go whole-hog and do it all


> We don't use Pages, and would rather buy a program designed for the
> task that had a companion app. I don't know if such is available.


Bento?

Here's a nice template:

http://solutions.filemaker.com/datab...serial=2550595

Or maybe Notebook from Circus Ponies, which is quite slick (and looks
like it's particularly nice on the iPad for marking up other things):

http://www.circusponies.com/notebook...ke-great-notes


Or you could do what I do - I use EverNote, which is so great for so
many things like this and makes the whole "sync" thing a non-issue.



--
Plain Bread alone for e-mail, thanks. The rest gets trashed.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Nad R
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Apr 21st, 11, 4:15 AM
Howard Brazee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Anybody here know of a way to write recipes on a Mac and read them on
> an iPad?


"Bento" for the iPad and the Mac has a recipes form that can easily sync
the two programs via wifi between the Mac and iPad.

--
Enjoy Life... Nad R (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Howard Brazee
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Apr 21st, 11, 4:17 AM
On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 19:52:11 -0700, sbt
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>There are a number of recipe apps (e.g. Epicurious), but not one that
>I'm aware of that lets you create the recipe cards.
>
>How's this as a possible solution? Print to PDF on the Mac and transfer
>them into Bookman or Goodreads, both excellent (and free) PDF tools on
>the iPad. Bookman uses an iBooks-like bookshelf metaphor where you can
>create multiple bookshelves, plus it has some excellent search and
>preview capabilities. Goodreads is a pretty nifty PDF markup utility,
>so you can annotate the PDFs once you have them on your iPad.


That's doable, if I don't find a better solution, thanks.

--
"In no part of the constitution is more wisdom to be found,
than in the clause which confides the question of war or peace
to the legislature, and not to the executive department."

- James Madison
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jan
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Apr 21st, 11, 4:17 AM
Howard Brazee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Anybody here know of a way to write recipes on a Mac and read them on
> an iPad?


Could save them in DropBox and read them anywhere!
--
JanG
 
Reply With Quote
 
Howard Brazee
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Apr 21st, 11, 4:19 AM
On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 03:15:31 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Anybody here know of a way to write recipes on a Mac and read them on
>> an iPad?

>
>"Bento" for the iPad and the Mac has a recipes form that can easily sync
>the two programs via wifi between the Mac and iPad.


I've been looking for an excuse to buy Bento. That could be it.

--
"In no part of the constitution is more wisdom to be found,
than in the clause which confides the question of war or peace
to the legislature, and not to the executive department."

- James Madison
 
Reply With Quote
 
Michelle Steiner
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Apr 21st, 11, 4:56 AM
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Howard Brazee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >"Bento" for the iPad and the Mac has a recipes form that can easily
> >sync the two programs via wifi between the Mac and iPad.

>
> I've been looking for an excuse to buy Bento. That could be it.


Heck, the name alone would be a good reason to buy it for recipes.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
People's Democratic Republic is to Democracy.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Re: Recipe Computer and Compatibility vlmarcor PC Hardware 0 Jan 10th, 08 7:18 AM
Re: Recipe Computer and Compatibility Paul PC Hardware 0 Jan 7th, 08 11:42 PM
Re: Recipe needed Sylvain VAN DER WALDE DIY Computers 0 Jan 20th, 06 7:42 PM
Has anyone used the new Win2k Server program from MS? James Software 4 Aug 19th, 03 11:47 PM
[tip] Registry editting Program S Walch Software 3 Aug 10th, 03 1:55 PM