Computer Help Forums

Computer Help Forum > TechieHQ Office > Newsgroup Archive > iPad > NewsTap app question

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

NewsTap app question

 
 
Bruce Esquibel
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Dec 8th, 11, 3:43 PM

I spent a little time looking around for an answer to this and didn't find
anything.

I use the paid version of Newstap on the iPad and iPhone to read usenet when
handy.

For some reason, the time stamp of an article is displayed as GMT I guess (6
hours earlier than where I am). Like right now, it's about 8:40am here, when
I post this and look at it from NewsTap, it'll show it as 2:40am.

Most unix based newsreaders I use generally have some kind of setting to
control it, but unless I keep missing it, I don't see anything within the
app or in the devices Settings for the app.

I also don't see anyone else complaining about it, so I dunno if it's just
me or what.

Any clues?

-bruce
(E-Mail Removed)


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
D Finnigan
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Dec 8th, 11, 4:11 PM
Bruce Esquibel wrote:
>
> I also don't see anyone else complaining about it, so I dunno if it's just
> me or what.
>
> Any clues?
>


I too have looked for a way to change the time zone, but there doesn't
appear to be any option. IMO, this is a flaw in the application, and as a
purchaser, I would suggest contacting the developer (I shall too).

http://www.clauss-net.de/contact.html

--
]DF$
Mac GUI Vault - A source for retro Apple II and
Macintosh computing.
http://macgui.com/vault/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lloyd
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Dec 8th, 11, 4:23 PM
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (D Finnigan) wrote:

> Bruce Esquibel wrote:
> >
> > I also don't see anyone else complaining about it, so I dunno if it's just
> > me or what.
> >
> > Any clues?
> >

>
> I too have looked for a way to change the time zone, but there doesn't
> appear to be any option. IMO, this is a flaw in the application, and as a
> purchaser, I would suggest contacting the developer (I shall too).
>
> http://www.clauss-net.de/contact.html


based on the lack of any updates to the sw in a very long time, I doubt
that the developer is doing anything with it at all.
 
Reply With Quote
 
The Sandman
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Dec 8th, 11, 7:23 PM
Lloyd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


>
> based on the lack of any updates to the sw in a very long time, I doubt
> that the developer is doing anything with it at all.


The last update was some ten days ago... :-) But the one before that was
looooong time ago.

--
The Sandman on iPad
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lloyd
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Dec 8th, 11, 7:59 PM
In article
<(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>
,
The Sandman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Lloyd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
> >
> > based on the lack of any updates to the sw in a very long time, I doubt
> > that the developer is doing anything with it at all.

>
> The last update was some ten days ago... :-) But the one before that was
> looooong time ago.


I had forgotten that one. What was it supposed to actually do better?

At best, Newstap is a very minimal usenet client, but it is all we have
on the iPad.
 
Reply With Quote
 
D Finnigan
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Dec 8th, 11, 8:21 PM
I emailed the developer, and he replied that it is a bug:


On Thu, 8 Dec 2011 18:57:23 +0100, Alexander Clauss wrote:
>>a year. I would like to suggest a feature for the next version. I think
>>that having a selectable timezone for the date display of articles would

>
> In general NewsTaps should always display the dates based on the timezone
> that is configured in the system. But there's a bug so that currently this
> is not working. But this will be fixed in the next release again.


--
]DF$
Mac GUI Vault - A source for retro Apple II and
Macintosh computing.
http://macgui.com/vault/
 
Reply With Quote
 
The Sandman
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Dec 8th, 11, 8:27 PM
Lloyd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>
> ,
> The Sandman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Lloyd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>
>>> based on the lack of any updates to the sw in a very long time, I doubt
>>> that the developer is doing anything with it at all.

>>
>> The last update was some ten days ago... :-) But the one before that was
>> looooong time ago.

>
> I had forgotten that one. What was it supposed to actually do better?


On iPad there's a new two panes view.

>
> At best, Newstap is a very minimal usenet client, but it is all we have
> on the iPad.


And I find it in any case really good. Better than any reader on PC or Mac.


--
The Sandman on iPad
 
Reply With Quote
 
nospam
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Dec 8th, 11, 9:06 PM
In article
<(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
The Sandman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > At best, Newstap is a very minimal usenet client, but it is all we have
> > on the iPad.

>
> And I find it in any case really good. Better than any reader on PC or Mac.


what newsreaders have you used? newstap is garbage. it doesn't even
handle crossposts properly.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Erilar
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Dec 8th, 11, 9:10 PM
Lloyd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>
> ,
> The Sandman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Lloyd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>
>>> based on the lack of any updates to the sw in a very long time, I doubt
>>> that the developer is doing anything with it at all.

>>
>> The last update was some ten days ago... :-) But the one before that was
>> looooong time ago.

>
> I had forgotten that one. What was it supposed to actually do better?

I didn't install it because it appears in the clutch of apps with iOS5
"fixes" and I'm avoiding installing the thing in the first place because I
want to keep the content I have and do NOT want to be dependent on the
"cloud" that is totally useless without a 365/24/7 internet connection.
Sometimes I actually use mine OFF LINE!!
>
> At best, Newstap is a very minimal usenet client, but it is all we have
> on the iPad.



--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
 
Reply With Quote
 
Erilar
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Dec 8th, 11, 9:12 PM
nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> The Sandman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> At best, Newstap is a very minimal usenet client, but it is all we have
>>> on the iPad.

>>
>> And I find it in any case really good. Better than any reader on PC or Mac.

>
> what newsreaders have you used? newstap is garbage. it doesn't even
> handle crossposts properly.


In my opinion, that's one of its finest features!

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: NewsTap app question Erilar iPad 2 Dec 18th, 11 10:00 PM
[SOLVED] Re: NewsTap app question Erilar iPad 18 Dec 16th, 11 10:57 PM
Re: NewsTap app question Erilar iPad 1 Dec 13th, 11 12:13 AM
[SOLVED] Re: NewsTap app question Erilar iPad 7 Dec 12th, 11 9:19 PM
Re: NewsTap app question Erilar iPad 5 Dec 11th, 11 4:05 AM