Computer Help Forums

Computer Help Forum > TechieHQ Office > Newsgroup Archive > DIY Computers > [SOLVED] Soundcard with optical out?

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

[SOLVED] Soundcard with optical out?

 
 
PivotalG
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Sep 25th, 03, 12:10 AM
Dear group,

Wondering whether anyone can point me in the direction of a PCI
soundcard with an optical out port? Need this to record to my old
minidisc player. Can't afford a NetMD or a Zen/iPod at the moment,
and my Hifi lacks this feature (damn shitty Goodmans crap!).

Basically, apart from that specific feature, the rest of the card
need not be more than half-decent. Got a SB 1024/Live Value or
something at the moment, so a match to the performance of that would
be fine.

As always, the price will be an important factor! The lower the
better...

Thanks in advance,

--
PivotalG
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Synapse Syndrome
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Sep 25th, 03, 12:15 AM

"PivotalG" <> wrote in message
news:Xns94011DC5875Bpivotalgnospamfastma@130.133.1 .4...
> Dear group,
>
> Wondering whether anyone can point me in the direction of a PCI
> soundcard with an optical out port? Need this to record to my old
> minidisc player. Can't afford a NetMD or a Zen/iPod at the moment,
> and my Hifi lacks this feature (damn shitty Goodmans crap!).
>
> Basically, apart from that specific feature, the rest of the card
> need not be more than half-decent. Got a SB 1024/Live Value or
> something at the moment, so a match to the performance of that would
> be fine.
>
> As always, the price will be an important factor! The lower the
> better...
>
> Thanks in advance,
>



If you can find yourself one of those old Aureal Vortex 2 cards, they have
an optical digital out. They are contemporary to the Soundblaster Live.
Look on eBay. Probably pick one up for under a tenner.

ss.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Synapse Syndrome
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Sep 25th, 03, 12:33 AM

"PivotalG" <> wrote in message
news:Xns940137529A0Apivotalgnospamfastma@130.133.1 .4...
> "Synapse Syndrome" <> wrote in
> news:bkt8ik$l7$:
>
> > If you can find yourself one of those old Aureal Vortex 2 cards,
> > they have an optical digital out. They are contemporary to the
> > Soundblaster Live. Look on eBay. Probably pick one up for under a
> > tenner.

>
> Thanks for the quick response!
>
> Just had a quick look, but no luck. Last one on there went for 5.00
> and finished on September 17.
>
> Any chance anyone else has one hanging around? Or, any other
> suggestions?
>



If your minidisc player is a Sony seperate, it should have coaxial digital
in/out as well as well as optical. The yellow port on the SB Live is a
coaxial digital in.

I have both of these things, but have never tried it. I've heard it works
as the SB can match the same frequency or something like that.

You'll find out more stuff here: http://minidisc.org/

ss.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard P
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Sep 25th, 03, 12:49 AM

"PivotalG" <> wrote in message
news:Xns940137529A0Apivotalgnospamfastma@130.133.1 .4...
> "Synapse Syndrome" <> wrote in
> news:bkt8ik$l7$:
>
> > If you can find yourself one of those old Aureal Vortex 2 cards,
> > they have an optical digital out. They are contemporary to the
> > Soundblaster Live. Look on eBay. Probably pick one up for under a
> > tenner.

>
> Thanks for the quick response!
>
> Just had a quick look, but no luck. Last one on there went for 5.00
> and finished on September 17.
>
> Any chance anyone else has one hanging around? Or, any other
> suggestions?
>
> --
> PivotalG


Try asking in uk.adverts.computer if nothing turns up here.

Richard.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Albert Fish
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Sep 25th, 03, 8:33 AM
PivotalG wrote:
> Dear group,
>
> Wondering whether anyone can point me in the direction of a PCI
> soundcard with an optical out port? Need this to record to my old
> minidisc player. Can't afford a NetMD or a Zen/iPod at the moment,
> and my Hifi lacks this feature (damn shitty Goodmans crap!).
>
> Basically, apart from that specific feature, the rest of the card
> need not be more than half-decent. Got a SB 1024/Live Value or
> something at the moment, so a match to the performance of that would
> be fine.
>
> As always, the price will be an important factor! The lower the
> better...
>
> Thanks in advance,


Trust 5.1 optical s/p dif for around 30 any good to you ?

for the price, it's a cracking card. make sure you get the 'expert'
version with the s/p dif daughterboard



hth




Albert


 
Reply With Quote
 
Albert Fish
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Sep 25th, 03, 10:42 AM
Alan Gauton wrote:
>> Trust 5.1 optical s/p dif for around 30 any good to you ?
>>
>> for the price, it's a cracking card. make sure you get the 'expert'
>> version with the s/p dif daughterboard

>
> For that price you should be able to get a Fortissimo 3 7.1 card OEM
> (so no copy of PowerDVD). Got mine for that price in (spit) PC World.


dabs [spit] have the Fortissimo 3 7.1 in at 37 and the best price for the
trust I've found is 24 (both + del)

7.1 sound for 37 is certainly worth considering but I have tales of
woe aplenty with hercules soundcards and their drivers interaction
with various operating systems.





Albert


 
Reply With Quote
 
Alan Gauton
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Sep 25th, 03, 11:08 AM
In article <mMycb.3731$>, albert-
says...
> Alan Gauton wrote:
> >> Trust 5.1 optical s/p dif for around 30 any good to you ?
> >>
> >> for the price, it's a cracking card. make sure you get the 'expert'
> >> version with the s/p dif daughterboard

> >
> > For that price you should be able to get a Fortissimo 3 7.1 card OEM
> > (so no copy of PowerDVD). Got mine for that price in (spit) PC World.

>
> dabs [spit] have the Fortissimo 3 7.1 in at 37 and the best price for the
> trust I've found is 24 (both + del)
>
> 7.1 sound for 37 is certainly worth considering but I have tales of
> woe aplenty with hercules soundcards and their drivers interaction
> with various operating systems.


Well, you could say that about Creatives cards as well - the SB Live
being notorious for it.

Personally I've had a Fortissimo 1, and a Fortissimo 3, running under XP
and 98 without any problems whatsoever, using both a VIA and and SIS
chipset at different point of time.

--
AG

Remove removes from address to remove anti-spam measures.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan Gauton E-Mail agauton @ postmaster.co.uk

Never for me the lowered banner, never the last endeavour!
(Damon Hill - 16th June 1999)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Albert Fish
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Sep 25th, 03, 11:34 AM
Alan Gauton wrote:

> Well, you could say that about Creatives cards as well - the SB Live
> being notorious for it.


aye, true

what couldn't you say about creative cards that didn't involve profanities :-)

> Personally I've had a Fortissimo 1, and a Fortissimo 3, running under
> XP and 98 without any problems whatsoever, using both a VIA and and
> SIS chipset at different point of time.


hercules = guillemot = baaaad reputation for soundcard drivers / support
in the home music community. they may have sorted themselves out by
now, I haven't used anything from them since their dire maxi studio effort
but i seem to recall that some people had no problems and others had
nothing but.

ya pays ya money and all that :-)





Albert


 
Reply With Quote
 
PivotalG
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Sep 25th, 03, 2:14 PM
"Albert Fish" <albert-> wrote in
news:mMycb.3731$:

> dabs [spit] have the Fortissimo 3 7.1 in at 37 and the best price
> for the trust I've found is 24 (both + del)


Have you got a URL to the Trust card?

--
PivotalG
 
Reply With Quote
 
Albert Fish
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Sep 25th, 03, 2:29 PM
PivotalG wrote:
> "Albert Fish" <albert-> wrote in
> news:mMycb.3731$:
>
>> dabs [spit] have the Fortissimo 3 7.1 in at 37 and the best price
>> for the trust I've found is 24 (both + del)

>
> Have you got a URL to the Trust card?


sure

http://www.web-systems.co.uk/?page=Products&pid=522

make sure they give you the 'expert optical' version &
there are many other uk retailers that do them

http://tinyurl.com/ommj


specs

http://www.trust.com/products/product.htm?artnr=12950



hth




Albert


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No sound at all, even with new soundcard... fdavis Hardware 10 Aug 5th, 05 5:08 PM
Soundcard not working for Guildwars binarysoul Software 6 Jun 17th, 05 3:21 PM
Optical better than non-optical? Piotr Makley PC Hardware 56 May 27th, 04 11:40 PM
[SOLVED] Optical better than non-optical? Piotr Makley DIY Computers 55 May 27th, 04 11:40 PM
Soundcard recs? XP & optical out needed. Mark S@demon.co.uk DIY Computers 7 Jan 31st, 04 2:18 AM