Computer Help Forums

Computer Help Forum > TechieHQ Office > Newsgroup Archive > DIY Computers > OT: IP address setting on Samsung printer

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

OT: IP address setting on Samsung printer

 
 
Bill
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jan 16th, 12, 7:18 PM
A friend has just bought a Samsung CLP-325W wireless laser colour
printer. Before purchase, he looked at internet reviews, many of which
flagged up wi-fi installation difficulties. One recurring statement was
that it should be set with a static IP to ensure it stayed where it was
if the router was re-booted.

Today, I LoggedMeIn and worked with him to try to get it installed. You
are supposed to connect via USB, then set up the wi-fi.

We established the ip address of his router, but can't get into its
setup as his record of its Username and password seems to be wrong. Work
for another day.

Then we went though the wi-fi setup for the printer. We got it to print
a test page using DHCP, although it seemed to take several minutes
between sending the page and the printer producing paper.

We then tried to set a static IP address using the Samsung Windows
installer software. Alongside IP address are 3 boxes which allow you to
type in 3 , 3 digit numbers, Subnet mask is the same, 3 boxes, Gateway
the same, just 3 boxes to enter numbers alongside. So we could type in
the 192.168.0 but had nowhere to put the last numbers.

Is this some weird Korean standard that I haven't come across, or I
being terminally stupid again? I've downloaded the manual, but that just
shows the same computer screenshot of the installation panel, but with a
nice normal field to enter the numbers and dots.


--
Bill
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dave Richardson
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jan 16th, 12, 8:52 PM


"Bill" wrote in message news:z5DLORg$(E-Mail Removed)...

A friend has just bought a Samsung CLP-325W wireless laser colour
printer. Before purchase, he looked at internet reviews, many of which
flagged up wi-fi installation difficulties. One recurring statement was
that it should be set with a static IP to ensure it stayed where it was
if the router was re-booted.

Today, I LoggedMeIn and worked with him to try to get it installed. You
are supposed to connect via USB, then set up the wi-fi.

We established the ip address of his router, but can't get into its
setup as his record of its Username and password seems to be wrong. Work
for another day.

Then we went though the wi-fi setup for the printer. We got it to print
a test page using DHCP, although it seemed to take several minutes
between sending the page and the printer producing paper.

We then tried to set a static IP address using the Samsung Windows
installer software. Alongside IP address are 3 boxes which allow you to
type in 3 , 3 digit numbers, Subnet mask is the same, 3 boxes, Gateway
the same, just 3 boxes to enter numbers alongside. So we could type in
the 192.168.0 but had nowhere to put the last numbers.

Is this some weird Korean standard that I haven't come across, or I
being terminally stupid again? I've downloaded the manual, but that just
shows the same computer screenshot of the installation panel, but with a
nice normal field to enter the numbers and dots.


--
Bill


F-Y-I (in case it helps....)

I have a Samsung laser printer (non-wifi) which is attached to a Belkin USB
print server which then plugs into my router (thus making the Samsung a
wi-fi printer attached to the network).

I never bother to install using the Samsung software, I found the best way
is to add the printer via Windows as normal, load the necessary drivers but
then set the printer up manually using a "standard tcp/ip port" and then
enter the ip address manually.

By the way, on the same usb print server there is also a Canon colour
printer which is also set up via Windows add printer, the only difference is
the Samsung laser is addressed as "port number 9100" in the RAW settings and
the Canon is set to "port number 9101" in the RAW settings.

Thus I can print to either printer at will from either the desktop or my
Dell Laptop via the wi-fi from anywhere in or around the house. Neither
printer is a wi-fi printer, the Samsung is a very basis ML-2510 and the
Canon is an IP4600.

The only disadvantage of course in my setup is that you cannot use the
proprietary ink/paper monitoring software of either printer as the printers
will not report back their status via the wi-fi. Personally, I do not find
this an issue as the advantages outweigh this small inconvenience.

Regards


Tippunmon (Dave Richardson)

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bill
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jan 17th, 12, 2:44 AM
In message <Vd%Qq.3106$(E-Mail Removed)2>, Dave Richardson
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>I have a Samsung laser printer (non-wifi) which is attached to a Belkin USB print server which then plugs into my router (thus making the Samsung a
>wi-fi printer attached to the network).
>
>I never bother to install using the Samsung software, I found the best way is to add the printer via Windows as normal, load the necessary drivers but
>then set the printer up manually using a "standard tcp/ip port" and then enter the ip address manually.


This is interesting, but I think it may not be applicable here.

The eventual aim is to be able to put the colour laser wireless printer
in a common area in the house and be able to print to it wirelessly from
his "office", his SWMBO's "office" and also the his and hers iPads.

I'm only at the stage where we want to get it going reliably with the 2
PC's + laptop. Then at least we will have something stable to try to
point the iPads at.

AIUI, your Belkin setup puts the wireless IP settings in the router, and
we need to be able to set a static IP at the wireless unit inside the
printer. That's where the Samsung software seems weird, not allowing
enough space to enter an IP address.

If there's time tomorrow, I'll try getting him to power everything down
and start the installation again from scratch and see where we get to.
I'm still confused by the 3 boxes to enter a 4-part IP address. I have
to have missed something obvious.

--
Bill
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Richardson
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jan 17th, 12, 8:40 PM


"Bill" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

In message <Vd%Qq.3106$(E-Mail Removed)2>, Dave Richardson
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>I have a Samsung laser printer (non-wifi) which is attached to a Belkin USB
>print server which then plugs into my router (thus making the Samsung a
>wi-fi printer attached to the network).
>
>I never bother to install using the Samsung software, I found the best way
>is to add the printer via Windows as normal, load the necessary drivers but
>then set the printer up manually using a "standard tcp/ip port" and then
>enter the ip address manually.


This is interesting, but I think it may not be applicable here.

The eventual aim is to be able to put the colour laser wireless printer
in a common area in the house and be able to print to it wirelessly from
his "office", his SWMBO's "office" and also the his and hers iPads.

I'm only at the stage where we want to get it going reliably with the 2
PC's + laptop. Then at least we will have something stable to try to
point the iPads at.

AIUI, your Belkin setup puts the wireless IP settings in the router, and
we need to be able to set a static IP at the wireless unit inside the
printer. That's where the Samsung software seems weird, not allowing
enough space to enter an IP address.

If there's time tomorrow, I'll try getting him to power everything down
and start the installation again from scratch and see where we get to.
I'm still confused by the 3 boxes to enter a 4-part IP address. I have
to have missed something obvious.

--
Bill


I'm no expert, but surely if you take a little time to manually configure
the printer via standard tcp/ip connection (192.168.XXXXX) all the devices
will be able to print to it via the designated ip address and port?

Regards


Tippunmon

 
Reply With Quote
 
Anthony R. Gold
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jan 17th, 12, 9:55 PM
On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 18:18:39 +0000, Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> We then tried to set a static IP address using the Samsung Windows
> installer software. Alongside IP address are 3 boxes which allow you to
> type in 3 , 3 digit numbers, Subnet mask is the same, 3 boxes, Gateway
> the same, just 3 boxes to enter numbers alongside. So we could type in
> the 192.168.0 but had nowhere to put the last numbers.
>
> Is this some weird Korean standard that I haven't come across, or I
> being terminally stupid again? I've downloaded the manual, but that just
> shows the same computer screenshot of the installation panel, but with a
> nice normal field to enter the numbers and dots.


I suspect you have a video driver issue somewhere on your friend's computer
or in the LoggedMeIn connection which prevents the display of all the boxes
for the IP address. You might plan on a visit to your friend help on site
and taking with you a notebook computer with known good video drivers.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jan 17th, 12, 10:07 PM
In message <z9kRq.2381$(E-Mail Removed)2>, Dave Richardson
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>I'm no expert, but surely if you take a little time to manually configure the printer via standard tcp/ip connection (192.168.XXXXX) all the devices will
>be able to print to it via the designated ip address and port?


We haven't had any time to try any more today, and I'm away tomorrow,
but I've now read through the manual and it seems that, as well as the
standard setup, there are two other Samsung applications for setting the
IP address of the printer. I'll try these as soon as he is there and I
have time for another LogMeIn session.

I'm hopeless - I can never remember the commands - with network device
setup from the command prompt, but I'll dig out the books again, if
necessary.

It doesn't look as though we can manually configure anything from the
printer itself.

Many thanks for the help.
--
Bill
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jan 17th, 12, 10:11 PM
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Anthony R. Gold
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 18:18:39 +0000, Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> We then tried to set a static IP address using the Samsung Windows
>> installer software. Alongside IP address are 3 boxes which allow you to
>> type in 3 , 3 digit numbers, Subnet mask is the same, 3 boxes, Gateway
>> the same, just 3 boxes to enter numbers alongside. So we could type in
>> the 192.168.0 but had nowhere to put the last numbers.
>>
>> Is this some weird Korean standard that I haven't come across, or I
>> being terminally stupid again? I've downloaded the manual, but that just
>> shows the same computer screenshot of the installation panel, but with a
>> nice normal field to enter the numbers and dots.

>
>I suspect you have a video driver issue somewhere on your friend's computer
>or in the LoggedMeIn connection which prevents the display of all the boxes
>for the IP address. You might plan on a visit to your friend help on site
>and taking with you a notebook computer with known good video drivers.


Many thanks. That sounds like something I should have thought of.

ASAP, I'll try talking him through it without the LogMeIn connection and
if that doesn't help, I'll have to plan a day out..
--
Bill
 
Reply With Quote
 
Helmut_Meukel
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jan 17th, 12, 11:42 PM
Anthony R. Gold formulierte Dienstag:
> On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 18:18:39 +0000, Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> We then tried to set a static IP address using the Samsung Windows
>> installer software. Alongside IP address are 3 boxes which allow you to
>> type in 3 , 3 digit numbers, Subnet mask is the same, 3 boxes, Gateway
>> the same, just 3 boxes to enter numbers alongside. So we could type in
>> the 192.168.0 but had nowhere to put the last numbers.
>>
>> Is this some weird Korean standard that I haven't come across, or I
>> being terminally stupid again? I've downloaded the manual, but that just
>> shows the same computer screenshot of the installation panel, but with a
>> nice normal field to enter the numbers and dots.

>
> I suspect you have a video driver issue somewhere on your friend's computer
> or in the LoggedMeIn connection which prevents the display of all the boxes
> for the IP address. You might plan on a visit to your friend help on site
> and taking with you a notebook computer with known good video drivers.


I've seen dialogues programmed that behave badly if the font size in the
display settings isn't set to normal (100%) (in older Windows: small).
The size of the dialogue window ist too small and areas on the right and
bottom are invisible.
Solution is to temporarily set the font size to normal (Win7) or
small (Win2000/WinXP).

Helmut.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ghostrecon
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jan 18th, 12, 8:53 PM
On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 21:07:16 +0000, Bill wrote:

> In message <z9kRq.2381$(E-Mail Removed)2>, Dave Richardson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>I'm no expert, but surely if you take a little time to manually configure the printer via standard tcp/ip connection (192.168.XXXXX) all the devices will
>>be able to print to it via the designated ip address and port?

>
> We haven't had any time to try any more today, and I'm away tomorrow,
> but I've now read through the manual and it seems that, as well as the
> standard setup, there are two other Samsung applications for setting the
> IP address of the printer. I'll try these as soon as he is there and I
> have time for another LogMeIn session.
>
> I'm hopeless - I can never remember the commands - with network device
> setup from the command prompt, but I'll dig out the books again, if
> necessary.
>
> It doesn't look as though we can manually configure anything from the
> printer itself.
>
> Many thanks for the help.


have a samsung clp310 set up was easy ... connected the printer to an
ethernet port on the router and let it get an i/p by dchp, xamined the
connected deviceson the router and found out the i/p address. typed
http://192.168.2.9/ uess the diecovered i/p in the browser - this took me
to the network set up (syncthru web) for the printer ..
then network settings on top tab - select tcp/ip on lhs tab - set staic i/p
and type in ip address (outside of range of dchp) and save

re-ran install of samsung utility on each mach and it discovered the i/p
address and pu icon in notification area .. done
--
(º•.¸(¨*•.¸ ¸.•*¨)¸.•º)
<.•°•. Nik .•°•.>
(¸.•º(¸.•¨* *¨•.¸)º•.¸)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ghostrecon
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jan 18th, 12, 8:55 PM
On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 19:53:40 +0000, Ghostrecon wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 21:07:16 +0000, Bill wrote:
>
>> In message <z9kRq.2381$(E-Mail Removed)2>, Dave Richardson
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>>I'm no expert, but surely if you take a little time to manually configure the printer via standard tcp/ip connection (192.168.XXXXX) all the devices will
>>>be able to print to it via the designated ip address and port?

>>
>> We haven't had any time to try any more today, and I'm away tomorrow,
>> but I've now read through the manual and it seems that, as well as the
>> standard setup, there are two other Samsung applications for setting the
>> IP address of the printer. I'll try these as soon as he is there and I
>> have time for another LogMeIn session.
>>
>> I'm hopeless - I can never remember the commands - with network device
>> setup from the command prompt, but I'll dig out the books again, if
>> necessary.
>>
>> It doesn't look as though we can manually configure anything from the
>> printer itself.
>>
>> Many thanks for the help.

>
> have a samsung clp310 set up was easy ... connected the printer to an
> ethernet port on the router and let it get an i/p by dchp, xamined the
> connected deviceson the router and found out the i/p address. typed
> http://192.168.2.9/ uess the diecovered i/p in the browser - this took me
> to the network set up (syncthru web) for the printer ..
> then network settings on top tab - select tcp/ip on lhs tab - set staic i/p
> and type in ip address (outside of range of dchp) and save
>
> re-ran install of samsung utility on each mach and it discovered the i/p
> address and pu icon in notification area .. done


oops later on when I needed the hardwired port I went in and turned
wireless on and then removed cable ..... worked straight away
--
(º•.¸(¨*•.¸ ¸.•*¨)¸.•º)
<.•°•. Nik .•°•.>
(¸.•º(¸.•¨* *¨•.¸)º•.¸)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Setting up a "permanent" email address Chock Computing 49 Jun 19th, 07 11:15 AM
Re: WOL - setting ip address to forward to Paul PC Hardware 0 Aug 15th, 06 9:27 AM
Re: WOL - setting ip address to forward to Rod Speed PC Hardware 0 Aug 13th, 06 11:52 PM
[SOLVED] Setting specific IP address? trs80 PC Hardware 4 May 9th, 05 4:21 PM
[SOLVED] Canon Printer vs Samsung Printer Yen Computing 2 May 15th, 04 11:07 PM