Computer Help Forums

Computer Help Forum > TechieHQ Office > Newsgroup Archive > Computing > Zone Alarm and SP2

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Zone Alarm and SP2

 
 
John_H
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Oct 17th, 04, 9:12 AM
Since installing SP2 I've had ongoing problems with screen freeze on
startup, which is almost certainly some sort of conflict with ZA, and
which is worse on the most recent version (5.1.33.0). Restore to an
earlier date will usually fix it for a couple of days, otherwise it's
a matter of keep trying until ZA loads succesfully.

Uninstalling ZA and turning on the XP firewall cures the problem, but
can I trust microslops' security?

Or, is there some other solution?

My connection is Tesltra 2-way sat (via Directway Navigator), hence
the concern with firewalls.

--
John H
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Will S
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Oct 17th, 04, 9:29 AM

"John_H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Since installing SP2 I've had ongoing problems with screen freeze on
> startup, which is almost certainly some sort of conflict with ZA, and
> which is worse on the most recent version (5.1.33.0). Restore to an
> earlier date will usually fix it for a couple of days, otherwise it's
> a matter of keep trying until ZA loads succesfully.
>
> Uninstalling ZA and turning on the XP firewall cures the problem, but
> can I trust microslops' security?
>
> Or, is there some other solution?
>
> My connection is Tesltra 2-way sat (via Directway Navigator), hence
> the concern with firewalls.
>
> --
> John H


Look SP2 is good for people who really cant manage their own security etc.
If you
have a good AV program and a good firewall then there is really no need to
install SP2 ( I have SP2 on my computers and it doesn't cause me any probs )
so my suggestion would be to remove it and go with Zone Alarm


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Colin
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Oct 17th, 04, 9:59 AM
SP2 and ZA is a known problem as you describe and the latest version does
not fix it.

Till they get it right, get Kerio Personal or Sygate Free. Ideally hunt up
a copy of Kerio 2.1.5 which was the last of the no-bloat versions with a
very small footprint.

I just put in Kerio 2.1.5 behind the cable router and found all sorts of
things trying to get out that Windows didn't mention.

"John_H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Since installing SP2 I've had ongoing problems with screen freeze on
> startup, which is almost certainly some sort of conflict with ZA, and
> which is worse on the most recent version (5.1.33.0). Restore to an
> earlier date will usually fix it for a couple of days, otherwise it's
> a matter of keep trying until ZA loads succesfully.
>
> Uninstalling ZA and turning on the XP firewall cures the problem, but
> can I trust microslops' security?
>
> Or, is there some other solution?
>
> My connection is Tesltra 2-way sat (via Directway Navigator), hence
> the concern with firewalls.
>
> --
> John H



 
Reply With Quote
 
Neil J
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Oct 17th, 04, 10:27 AM
My experience with SP2 is that it is a fair bet it will stuff up your PC.
Well, maybe that is just me being sour that it screwed up my wireless
connection.

Irrespective, my advice to all is to avoid SP2. Not worth taking the risk.



"John_H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Since installing SP2 I've had ongoing problems with screen freeze on
> startup, which is almost certainly some sort of conflict with ZA, and
> which is worse on the most recent version (5.1.33.0). Restore to an
> earlier date will usually fix it for a couple of days, otherwise it's
> a matter of keep trying until ZA loads succesfully.
>
> Uninstalling ZA and turning on the XP firewall cures the problem, but
> can I trust microslops' security?
>
> Or, is there some other solution?
>
> My connection is Tesltra 2-way sat (via Directway Navigator), hence
> the concern with firewalls.
>
> --
> John H



 
Reply With Quote
 
Unknown
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Oct 17th, 04, 1:53 PM

"John_H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Since installing SP2 I've had ongoing problems with screen freeze on
> startup, which is almost certainly some sort of conflict with ZA, and
> which is worse on the most recent version (5.1.33.0). Restore to an
> earlier date will usually fix it for a couple of days, otherwise it's
> a matter of keep trying until ZA loads succesfully.


Running SP2 and ZAP 5.1.33.000 here no probs so I dont think that is the
problem.

Have you checked for spyware, a virus and also done an SFC /SCANNOW to check
if system files are damaged?

>
> Uninstalling ZA and turning on the XP firewall cures the problem, but
> can I trust microslops' security?
>


One more thing, then - what is your virtual memory set to and do you have
enough disk space?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Unknown
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Oct 17th, 04, 1:55 PM

"Colin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> SP2 and ZA is a known problem as you describe and the latest version does
> not fix it.
>


RUBBISH!

> Till they get it right, get Kerio Personal or Sygate Free. Ideally hunt
> up a copy of Kerio 2.1.5 which was the last of the no-bloat versions with
> a very small footprint.
>


You ought to read about the security holes in Kerio before you say that.

There's even a new one I cannot get details about out this week. They are
attempting to get someone at Kerio to take notice of it.


 
Reply With Quote
 
dot au
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Oct 17th, 04, 1:55 PM
I'll second that.
Problem is removing it (sp2) once intalled from a now intergrated
instalation cd.
Speaking of intergration, firewall... whats next?


Neil J wrote:

> My experience with SP2 is that it is a fair bet it will stuff up your PC.
> Well, maybe that is just me being sour that it screwed up my wireless
> connection.
>
> Irrespective, my advice to all is to avoid SP2. Not worth taking the risk.
>
>
>
> "John_H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Since installing SP2 I've had ongoing problems with screen freeze on
>>startup, which is almost certainly some sort of conflict with ZA, and
>>which is worse on the most recent version (5.1.33.0). Restore to an
>>earlier date will usually fix it for a couple of days, otherwise it's
>>a matter of keep trying until ZA loads succesfully.
>>
>>Uninstalling ZA and turning on the XP firewall cures the problem, but
>>can I trust microslops' security?
>>
>>Or, is there some other solution?
>>
>>My connection is Tesltra 2-way sat (via Directway Navigator), hence
>>the concern with firewalls.
>>
>>--
>>John H

>
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Unknown
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Oct 17th, 04, 1:56 PM

"Neil J" <neiljenkins@.removethis.optushome.com.au> wrote in message
news:41723af0$0$19059$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> My experience with SP2 is that it is a fair bet it will stuff up your PC.


Absolute crap! Installed it on a **** of a lot of computers and had ONE
problem computer and that was because the damned hard drive was dying and
didnt show signs until the install got halfway through and started coughing
up sector errors.

> Well, maybe that is just me being sour that it screwed up my wireless
> connection.
>
> Irrespective, my advice to all is to avoid SP2. Not worth taking the risk.
>


Rot.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Unknown
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Oct 17th, 04, 10:38 PM
It's crap though. SP2 doesn't stuff your computer. It's dickheads who don't
look after their machines or people who are unlucky enough to have a hidden
problem of some sort that would have come up anyway but came out when SP2
was installed.


"dot au" <(E-Mail Removed)0> wrote in message
news:41726cf3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'll second that.
> Problem is removing it (sp2) once intalled from a now intergrated
> instalation cd.
> Speaking of intergration, firewall... whats next?
>
>
> Neil J wrote:
>
>> My experience with SP2 is that it is a fair bet it will stuff up your PC.
>> Well, maybe that is just me being sour that it screwed up my wireless
>> connection.
>>
>> Irrespective, my advice to all is to avoid SP2. Not worth taking the
>> risk.
>>
>>
>>
>> "John_H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>Since installing SP2 I've had ongoing problems with screen freeze on
>>>startup, which is almost certainly some sort of conflict with ZA, and
>>>which is worse on the most recent version (5.1.33.0). Restore to an
>>>earlier date will usually fix it for a couple of days, otherwise it's
>>>a matter of keep trying until ZA loads succesfully.
>>>
>>>Uninstalling ZA and turning on the XP firewall cures the problem, but
>>>can I trust microslops' security?
>>>
>>>Or, is there some other solution?
>>>
>>>My connection is Tesltra 2-way sat (via Directway Navigator), hence
>>>the concern with firewalls.
>>>
>>>--
>>>John H

>>
>>
>>

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
John_H
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Oct 18th, 04, 10:06 AM
Unknown wrote:

>
>"John_H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Since installing SP2 I've had ongoing problems with screen freeze on
>> startup, which is almost certainly some sort of conflict with ZA, and
>> which is worse on the most recent version (5.1.33.0). Restore to an
>> earlier date will usually fix it for a couple of days, otherwise it's
>> a matter of keep trying until ZA loads succesfully.

>
>Running SP2 and ZAP 5.1.33.000 here no probs so I dont think that is the
>problem.
>
>Have you checked for spyware, a virus and also done an SFC /SCANNOW to check
>if system files are damaged?


Spybot and Ad-Aware Plus are both running full time and scans with
both find nothing apart from DSO Exploit (Spybot).

Ran sfc/scannow as you suggested. It demanded my CD and fiddled about
for yonks, by the time I came back it'd exited the screen with nothing
to report

>
>>
>> Uninstalling ZA and turning on the XP firewall cures the problem, but
>> can I trust microslops' security?
>>

>
>One more thing, then - what is your virtual memory set to and do you have
>enough disk space?


768 MB, which is the default setting. There's around 8 GB free on the
primary partition.

--
John H
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zone alarm R D S DIY Computers 6 Oct 14th, 06 8:17 PM
Zone Alarm Security Suite prob Trev DIY Computers 6 Apr 30th, 06 4:30 PM
Zone Alarm massive updates R D S DIY Computers 6 Nov 10th, 04 9:55 PM
[SOLVED] Zone alarm Grouch DIY Computers 0 Mar 3rd, 04 2:54 PM
Zone Alarm warning... Shadow11 Software 1 Oct 9th, 03 2:20 AM