Computer Help Forums

Computer Help Forum > TechieHQ Office > Newsgroup Archive > Computing > CAL "command" for DOS/Win?

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

CAL "command" for DOS/Win?

 
 
Phred
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jul 24th, 04, 4:54 PM
G'day mates,

ISTR that Unix has a "cal" command that will do things like print out
a calendar for a given month/year, tell you the day of a given date,
and similar essential or trivial detail (depending on your needs).

So the question is, is such a thing available for DOS/Windows?

A command line implementation would be neat; but a more elaborate
creation would not be rejected if it's capable and accurate and does
things nicely. (CL output does tend to be rather crude at best.

Thanks for your time.


Cheers, Phred.

--
D

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Chaos Master
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jul 24th, 04, 6:15 PM
rm -rf /home/Phred:

> So the question is, is such a thing available for DOS/Windows?



Try http://gnuwin32.sf.net or Cygwin (full UNIX-like tools for Windows).

[]s
--
Chaos Master®, posting from Brazil. REPLY TO GROUP!
"And God said: '# apt-get install light'. And there was light".
ICQ: 126735906 MSN:
http://marreka.no-ip.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Smith
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jul 25th, 04, 9:37 AM
In aus.computers Phred <> wrote:
> G'day mates,
>
> ISTR that Unix has a "cal" command that will do things like print out
> a calendar for a given month/year, tell you the day of a given date,
> and similar essential or trivial detail (depending on your needs).
>
> So the question is, is such a thing available for DOS/Windows?
>
> A command line implementation would be neat; but a more elaborate
> creation would not be rejected if it's capable and accurate and does
> things nicely. (CL output does tend to be rather crude at best.


sure, there is both.

cygwin or other system for compiling unix source for dos/windows , will provide
cal.exe

There are also replacements for the Windows clock/calander,
so that it provides a calaneder service
not just a 'change the system date service' (which is prone to causing trouble
with applications , and email/news you post , for obvious reasons ! )



> Thanks for your time.
>
>
> Cheers, Phred.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Phred
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jul 25th, 04, 2:50 PM
In article < >,
(Joe P) wrote:
>Perhaps the cal.exe program Ben Ritchey has listed on his website at
>http://cmech.port5.com/ is what you are looking for.


Thanks for your interest, Joe, but I'm afraid cal.exe is a bit
limited for what I want.
<quoting http://cmech.port5.com/>
Cal.Exe will display a small but concise Calendar of the current month
with today hilighted
</quoting>

I was actually looking at something for past/future dates etc.
Initially came about due to discussion of the *day* various events
occurred in the past rather than just the date that you're taught at
school. :-)

> (Phred) wrote in message
> news:<>...
>> ISTR that Unix has a "cal" command that will do things like print out
>> a calendar for a given month/year, tell you the day of a given date,
>> and similar essential or trivial detail (depending on your needs).
>>
>> So the question is, is such a thing available for DOS/Windows?
>>
>> A command line implementation would be neat; but a more elaborate
>> creation would not be rejected if it's capable and accurate and does
>> things nicely. (CL output does tend to be rather crude at best.



Cheers, Phred.

--
D

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ralph
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jul 26th, 04, 1:27 AM
Will an html page suffice?
I have something if so.

--
remove n u m b e r s to reply
Phred wrote in message <>...
>In article < >,
> (Joe P) wrote:
>>Perhaps the cal.exe program Ben Ritchey has listed on his website at
>>http://cmech.port5.com/ is what you are looking for.

>
>Thanks for your interest, Joe, but I'm afraid cal.exe is a bit
>limited for what I want.
><quoting http://cmech.port5.com/>
>Cal.Exe will display a small but concise Calendar of the current month
>with today hilighted
></quoting>
>
>I was actually looking at something for past/future dates etc.
>Initially came about due to discussion of the *day* various events
>occurred in the past rather than just the date that you're taught at
>school. :-)
>
>> (Phred) wrote in message
>> news:<>...
>>> ISTR that Unix has a "cal" command that will do things like print out
>>> a calendar for a given month/year, tell you the day of a given date,
>>> and similar essential or trivial detail (depending on your needs).
>>>
>>> So the question is, is such a thing available for DOS/Windows?
>>>
>>> A command line implementation would be neat; but a more elaborate
>>> creation would not be rejected if it's capable and accurate and does
>>> things nicely. (CL output does tend to be rather crude at best.

>
>
>Cheers, Phred.
>
>--
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
John Smith
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jul 26th, 04, 10:37 AM
In aus.computers Phred <> wrote:
> In article < >,
> (Joe P) wrote:
>>Perhaps the cal.exe program Ben Ritchey has listed on his website at
>>http://cmech.port5.com/ is what you are looking for.

>
> Thanks for your interest, Joe, but I'm afraid cal.exe is a bit
> limited for what I want.
> <quoting http://cmech.port5.com/>
> Cal.Exe will display a small but concise Calendar of the current month
> with today hilighted
> </quoting>
>
> I was actually looking at something for past/future dates etc.
> Initially came about due to discussion of the *day* various events
> occurred in the past rather than just the date that you're taught at
> school. :-)



The windows one I have used is 'tclockex'


Visit the TClockEx home page at:
http://users.iafrica.com/d/da/dalen




>
>> (Phred) wrote in message
>> news:<>...
>>> ISTR that Unix has a "cal" command that will do things like print out
>>> a calendar for a given month/year, tell you the day of a given date,
>>> and similar essential or trivial detail (depending on your needs).
>>>
>>> So the question is, is such a thing available for DOS/Windows?
>>>
>>> A command line implementation would be neat; but a more elaborate
>>> creation would not be rejected if it's capable and accurate and does
>>> things nicely. (CL output does tend to be rather crude at best.

>
>
> Cheers, Phred.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Phred
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jul 26th, 04, 2:30 PM
In article <newscache$dfdg1i$fub$>, (John Smith) wrote:
>In aus.computers Phred <> wrote:
>> In article < >,
>> (Joe P) wrote:
>>>Perhaps the cal.exe program Ben Ritchey has listed on his website at
>>>http://cmech.port5.com/ is what you are looking for.

>>
>> Thanks for your interest, Joe, but I'm afraid cal.exe is a bit
>> limited for what I want.
>> <quoting http://cmech.port5.com/>
>> Cal.Exe will display a small but concise Calendar of the current month
>> with today hilighted
>> </quoting>
>>
>> I was actually looking at something for past/future dates etc.
>> Initially came about due to discussion of the *day* various events
>> occurred in the past rather than just the date that you're taught at
>> school. :-)

>
>The windows one I have used is 'tclockex'
>Visit the TClockEx home page at:
>http://users.iafrica.com/d/da/dalen


Thanks for your interest, mate, but this one seems to just give you
current time and date. As indicated above, not really what I'm after.

P.S. For your info:
<quoting>
Dale Nurden's home page has moved to: http://www.rcis.co.za/dale
Please update your favourites and bookmarks. Sorry for the
inconvenience.
</quoting>


Cheers, Phred.

--
D

 
Reply With Quote
 
Phred
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jul 26th, 04, 2:32 PM
In article <ce1j5a$omj$>,
"Ralph" <> wrote:
>Will an html page suffice?
>I have something if so.


You do tend to play things close to your chest. :-)
[Also, your newsreader put your sig in the wrong place, so the rest of
this topic has vanished.]

Cheers, Phred.

--
D

 
Reply With Quote
 
Rod
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jul 26th, 04, 2:42 PM
Phred wrote:

>>>
>>> I was actually looking at something for past/future dates etc.
>>> Initially came about due to discussion of the *day* various events
>>> occurred in the past rather than just the date that you're taught at
>>> school. :-)

>>
>> The windows one I have used is 'tclockex'
>> Visit the TClockEx home page at:


>
> Thanks for your interest, mate, but this one seems to just give you
> current time and date. As indicated above, not really what I'm after.


One click on TclockEx shows a calendar which you can easily scroll backwards
and forwards with in time (press the previous or next month, keep pressed to
go fast backwards/forward), just found out I was born on a thursday (in
1970) and I will turn 50 on a thursday (thursdays rule)


> Dale Nurden's home page has moved to: http://www.rcis.co.za/dale


HTH Rod

--
De gustibus non est disputandum


 
Reply With Quote
 
Phred
Guest

Posts: n/a
Thanked:


 
      Jul 26th, 04, 3:36 PM
Troppo? You sound like a house master we had at boarding school 50
years ago! :-)

Anyway, thanks for this pointer. It sounds rather like cal40.zip
which was coincidentally mentioned in another group I saw this evening
(see my response "Re: print monthly calendar ..." cross-posted here)
which looks like the bee's knees too, if not the duck's nuts. But not
sure if cal40 also does that piping thing, though it wouldn't be
unusual to find it will.

I must say that it's a pleasure to find a 3622 byte program (cal.com
in that cal_gb.zip you mentioned below) that does something useful in
this day and age. (Mind you, it dates from 1989, so don't know if it
will be well behaved under WinXP until I try.)

In article <41042376$>,
wrote:
>In article <>, wrote:
>>In article <>, wrote:
>>>In article <>, (Phred)
>>> wrote:
>>>>In article < >,
>>>> (Joe P) wrote:
>>>>>Perhaps the cal.exe program Ben Ritchey has listed on his website at
>>>>>http://cmech.port5.com/ is what you are looking for.
>>>>
>>>>Thanks for your interest, Joe, but I'm afraid cal.exe is a bit
>>>>limited for what I want.
>>>>I was actually looking at something for past/future dates etc.
>>>>Initially came about due to discussion of the *day* various events
>>>>occurred in the past rather than just the date that you're taught at
>>>>school. :-)
>>>I know the one you mean. "Cal 2004" will produce a screen display for 12
>>>months, and you can specify any year. You can also 'pipe' output to file.
>>>Port of the Unix version to DOS.
>>>I think it was a 'com' rather than 'exe'. Would need to run in a DOS box.
>>>I had it on an old machine that died .... if I can find it I'll repost here.
>>>...

>>It's at
>>http://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/unix.html
>>cal_gb.zip
>>only this version doesn't seem to pipe ...

>Yes it does - just that I couldn't remember how to ...
>cal 2004 >2004.txt will output to file.


Cheers, Phred.

--
D

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off